Deale to Baltimore Inner Harbor

Information for first time users - registration, posting pictures, testing, suggestions, etc.
Catch 22
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Catch 22 »

Have any of you made the sail from Deale (Herring Bay) to Baltimore Inner harbor? We are sailing Catch 22 up over Labor Day for the Baltimore Grand Prix. We have a slip for the three days right there so we can enjoy the whole thing and no driving.

How long a trip do I need to plan for? Are there any issues to be aware of?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

FX & Bobbie
Catch 22
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Re: Deale to Baltimore Inner Harbor

Post by holomoku »

Roughly a 45 mile trip.
Should be straight forward 6-9 hours depending if you get fair winds or have to pound into it.
Catch 22
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Catch 22 »

Thanks for the info...though this is for the Grand Prix we hope to make Baltimore like Annapois one of favorite our destinations. Seems to me Baltimore Inner harbor has alot to offer.

FX & Bobbie
Catch 22
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

Watch out for fish traps and freighters. :-) Beware of close in to Thomas Point Park. Its 1.5' deep at low tide in spots. (I know I live there and walk around out there fishing at times.) I like to cut Sandy Point and check out the light house. PDQs can cut the the point close to Bodkin creek. Watch out for White Rocks, and the forts, logs, paint cans, etc. Anchoring in the inner harbor will give you a very oily anchor line. Wave when past Thomas Point.

Best,
Eric
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
Catch 22
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Catch 22 »

Thanks all for the info...we assumed the inner Harbor would be less the sparkeling so got a slip at the Inner Habor Marina.we have really discovered the stability and showl draft of the PDQ is opening up a number of crusing areas we wouldn't have considered before. I assume you all have destinations that you have discovered since you have become PDQ sailors. Any suggestions are welcome.

FX & Bobbie
Catch 22