PDQ 32 LRC

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
Jwood1
skipper
skipper

PDQ 32 LRC

Post by Jwood1 »

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, but active on Cruisers Forum. I'm seriously interested in a PDQ 32 for long term Caribbean cruising, just the two of us. The "Deborah Lee" is for sale and is a LRC model. I would imagine the LRC is slower under sail than the outboard models due to more weight and the drag of the props. However, you would gain more power, better charging, better milage for cruising. I also don't like the idea of having engines under the bunks: heat, noise, vibration, and the need to take apart the bed to check the oil or do maintainance. I would love to hear from people with the LRC model, or who have sailed one for their thoughts. How much of a hit to sailing performance is there? How much increase in power and charging do you get? What is it like to have the engines under the bunks?

Finally, does anyone know anything about this specific boat?

thanks
Jerry
Terrapin
1997 PDQ 32 LRC #26
Punta Gorda, FL

http://terrapinsailing.com/
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: PDQ 32 LRC

Post by SecondWind »

You would be better with the 36. There is a 36 for sale in Baltimore: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2000/Pd ... ted-States

No Engines under the bunks, among other things.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Jwood1
skipper
skipper

Post by Jwood1 »

Yes, that is a nice looking boat. A 36 would be my first choice if I can afford one. I have yet to sail either though! I am still conflicted about the diesel/outboard choice though. I've read all the threads and know the advantages/trade-offs of each. At this point the lighter weight, simplicity and lack of drag is swaying me more toward an outboard choice. Bottom line is that I have to sail them to really decide.

Jerry
Terrapin
1997 PDQ 32 LRC #26
Punta Gorda, FL

http://terrapinsailing.com/
Mongoosemagic
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Mongoosemagic »

We have a 32 LRC. The question comes down to what type of cruising you want to do. Yes, the LRC is slower under sail. However, we do enjoy more water (90 gal), battery charging with a large bank, extended cruising range (350 - 400 nm) with just diesels, hot water, keeping the frig running, small (Engel) freezer, etc.

Sleeping over the engines does not cause anyroblems. The only problem is you have to fold the mattress to get to the engines for any maintenance.

As for getting a 36, we feel very secure being "in" the cockpit vs. a 36 cockpit arrangement. The 32 has been a perfect boat for us.
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

Post by MIDORI »

MIDORI is the 32 Classic, with twin 9.9 Yamaha. In the last 5 years we have cruised the winters, once to Abbacos and three trips to the Exumas. The other year we spent in the keys. We chose the outboards because we had no experience with deisels. With a Honda 2000 for running our 85 amp charger, we have all the 12 volt power we need. We are limited to the 40 gal of fresh water but have not found that to be a problem. All boats are a compromise. The storage space under the beds is huge!
Brian
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

I agree with a few of the comments above. I may be biased but I am not at all convinced that a 36 is a better boat for cruising than a 32. We sailed our 32 from Canada to Grenada (and then north to St. Martin and back to Grenada) and it has served us extremely well with very little issues.

Mike
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

JWood, (huh, huh, he said wood)

We were this close[very small distance] to buying the 32 instead of the 36 and the only reason we went with the 36 was the lack of standing headroom on the 32 in the salon unless the coach roof was rolled forward into the "open" position, which sort of exposes you to weather. I know you can alleviate some of this with full canvas up all the time in the cockpit, but not being able to stand upright (I am 6' tall) was a deal breaker for us as we were looking to move aboard for 2 years (working) before leaving to go cruising.

Perhaps if we had been leaving to cruise at the same time we were in the market, we may have chosen differently. The 36 definitely sails faster and points a little better than the 32. We've raced against several 32's and they just can't hold our speed or our tack angles, but so what? I mean they still get there.

A quick glance at yachtworld looks like the 32 might save you 30 to 40 thousand and as someone else noted, the external layout, cockpit and fore-deck seating are more livable than the 36. For a couple of 2, I think the 32, especially the outboard model, works well, but having been on a 36(also outboard) now for 11 years, I don't think I'd trade.

As an aside, the diesel powered models are seriously overloaded in the ass end. Our outboard model 36 sits a full 4 inches higher out of the water in the back end than a same model year 36 with diesels that we see every year does. It makes a huge difference under sail, but this is just my two cents worth, good luck.

regards,
Tom
http://www.tendervittles.net
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Hi Tom

Even though we're far from your height, I hear you about the standing head room! We always have our dodger up though and thus, unless we are leaving the boat and locking it up, we always have the slider open, even at night. When we were back in Canada this was NOT the case, either due to mosquitos or cold temps.

I can't really compare the speed of sailing against a 36. I don't think that either my wife or I are good enough sailors to even represent the 32's true ability if we were put into a race situation. As it stands down here in the Caribbean, we have at least 1 reef in the main the vast majority of the time. If we can do 5-6 knots, we're happy.

One thing I have noticed, when comparing the 32 to the 36, is the freeboard and bridge deck clearance. There is a 36 anchored right beside us now and we rafted up to Eric's in the Chesapeake. Our boat is higher in both of those measurements which, to those unfamiliar with boat boats, almost makes our boat look bigger. I assume the 32 would receive much less wave slapping too due to that extra height.

What I would appreciate about a 36 is the added ability to carry more stuff that I assume the extra waterline length would afford us. No matter how hard we try to prune things away, we still have too much "stuff!"

Mike
fredandkathy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by fredandkathy »

We have the 32 LRC, hull # 16, and "Evening Star" is our first big boat. I was not considering the 36 although it is a beautiful boat and I sailed briefly on my friend's "Attitude", very nice! I reviewed the treads in the Forum before purchase 3 yrs ago and was swayed toward the LRC because of the maintenance issues connected with the O/Bs and the reliability associated with diesels. Yes, there is an additional weight issue but no more so than having an extra crew member, or 2, aboard. And we load up the boat anyway when cruising with the kids so performance is not a key for us, comfort is. I know there are more O/Bs out there but perhaps because PDQ's initial factory $ premium for diesels to the first purchaser, rather than weight or sailing considerations. We like the LRC and mostly cruise at 5 -6 kts on 1 engine or both engines when necessary and consume very little fuel either way.
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

II the Max is a 91' PDQ 36 and unique in that it has a single Yanmar diesel in the port hull. It's mounted under the aft berth, and with proper insulation it's really pretty quiet. Although with twin outboards you have a backup motor, diesels are very reliable and the small Yanmars burn about 1/2 gal. per hr at cruising speed. Which is about 100 hours of motoring time on our boat. We've installed a Torqedo electric outboard on the Stbd hull and it works fine for docking, which is basically the only time we need it.

PDQ main cabins are forward so actually the outboard engine noise is closer to the berths if that is a concern. In our model there is plenty of access to the motor, not sure about the later 36's or the 32' LRC. We have a folding prop and notice very little drag, with a clean hull we motor easily at 4-6 kts and have had it up to 8, under sail we've hit 10 kts in the Chesapeake (with very minimal sailing skills...).

I wouldn't rule it out because of the Yanmars, there are trade offs both ways... good luck!
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max