poor man's bow thruster

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
amytom
admiral
admiral

poor man's bow thruster

Post by amytom »

Recently a new boat has moved onto our dock and is side tied just a few feet in front of us. It's a very pretty cat but she's much wider than we are and makes it difficult to get away from the dock. I was wondering if anybody else in this situation has mounted a cheap trolling motor to a removable bracket off of the front beam? That would also make it easier to catch a mooring when short handed.

I know that with twin engines we can pivot our boats in a very tight space but since they are mounted closer to the middle of the boat the rotation means the aft end moves opposite to the bow and when up against the dock that means hitting somewhere, even using a spring line.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Tom
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: poor man's bow thruster

Post by thinwater »

Since it is your home dock...

...Really big fenders? I find if I have some thing to pivot against I can work into any space. Since I single hand a lot, fenders are easier than lines or even bow thruster.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Big fenders? Where's the techy toy in that?

Actually, my new neighbor moved on so the problem is over but there is still a toy in the making.

Anybody else look into this?
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

I vaguely recall someone talking about a trolling motor on a bracket under the front crossbar, one that could be steered.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026