Bimini top

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
bg5w
skipper
skipper

Bimini top

Post by bg5w »

As a follow- up topic to getting the main down quickly, crawing on the bimini top in rough weather with those two big sky lights is courting a step-through. I was thinking you only need about a 6" width, and same longitudinal length of sky light to view the the sails and top of mast. The extra space could be using for getting around, or even two more solar panels, if getting around is not important to you.
Has anyone closed-in a portion of their sky lights? The additional fiberglass would have to be reinforced to handle a person's weight. It might also be accomplished with a SS wire grate or bars of some sort.

Thoughts?

Bob Gruber
Island Time 32
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Re: Bimini top

Post by doubledutch »

I had a solid white cover made for my bimini windows as I found the greenhouse effect of the clear panels too hot for my comfort. As a result I am in the habit of checking the sail shape by looking around the bimini and I really can't say I miss the window view. Once you spend enough time with the boat you can do most of the sail trimming without visible checking in any case.
The soft snap on covers unfortunately provide nice hiding spots for spiders which are a constant nuisance in our northern waters so I am also considering closing the openings with solid material.
Henry
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: Bimini top

Post by thinwater »

As for greenhouse, don't all skylights have Sunbrella covers? Normally we leave port covered and starboard clear for the reasons Doubledutch stated. If motoring for extended periods we sometimes cover the starboard skylight. As an aside, a small cabin fan mounted above and right of the helm is nice.

As for checking trim, I've sailed for 30 years and can't say I agree with DoubleDutch. I would also never make them any smaller.

As for stepping through, I've stepped on the Strataglass once, when fitting the new sail battens just 2 weeks ago. Dumb. Perhaps I caught myself before full weight, but nothing happened. The vinyl did not distort and the snaps did not stretch.If it is in good repair I think it will be much harder to fall through than you think. Add a few fixed screws and it will be impossible, like a trampoline. Think about how strong a tramp is.

---

All that said, when my current windows go (if covered they should last ~ 25 years) I might install removable Lexan windows with covers. It will be cheaper than new Strataglass and will solve the problem. I would NOT go without windows. My current 1997 windows are still factory fresh because they were kept covered. I don't believe a sailing god could use the chute to best effect or sail wing-and-wing in light conditions without a good veiw upwards, without moving away from the wheel. To windward or reaching under plain sail, certainly.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html