Propane locker modifications

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Propane locker modifications

Post by amytom »

I know of at least three different configurations for the PDQ32. One has the vertical fridge which was originally propane powered, another has the drop in fridge, and the third has the "crew cabin" in the starboard bow.
The drop in fridge configuration has a solid wall between the port bow and the living spaces which allows the storage of propane in that space.
The propane fridge was ventilated to the port bow so propane couldn't safely be stored there so a drop in propane locker was installed next to the water tank on the forward bench seat.

My propane locker was designed only for steel 10# cylinders which don't last very long in a salt water environment; I was only getting one refill out of them before they would fail inspection. A previous owner decide the fix was to make the locker taller and add deck tiles under the bottles so they would sit in trapped water. I thought I could do better.

First thing to change was the cylinders themselves switching to aluminum 10# cylinders. The newer tanks are a little wider though so I had to enlarge the locker to make them fit. The now wider locker was limited by the bridgedeck slope under it so it had to be installed at an angle then I had to deal with the drainage while staying clear of the bridgedeck and feeding into the same through hull. I will also be adding a clamshell over the throughull to keep water from splashing up in the first place.

This project is also a test of whether or not I wanted to tackle the stern extensions next. What do you think, am I up for that challenge?

Below are the pictures of each step for the locker.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Propane locker modifications

Post by amytom »

The original propane locker showing the rust stains from the cylinders and the throughull that kept a quarter inch of water in place.
Attachments
image.jpg
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Profiles of each half showing the PO's idea of making the locker taller to add more mats under the tanks. The wood was rotted in places.
Attachments
image.jpg
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Locker clamped into position ready for reglassing the sides.
Attachments
image.jpg
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

The assembled locker sporting a new lowered drain and drainage channels to work with the install angle. You can also the new tabs on the mounting lip to changing the angle it is installed, I had to rebuild the lip all the way around to make it fit right.
Attachments
image.jpg
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

The inside of the locker. The raised mount for the regulator also had to be reduced to fit the new tanks. You can also see the cutouts for the drainage channels.
Attachments
image.jpg
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Installed on deck.
Attachments
image.jpg
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Interesting.

My locker drain was in the bottom, so the locker stays dry. I also hose it out every so often, to chase the salt.

I've got 4 lines coming out (fridge, heater, stove, hot water).

My cylinders are quite old (15 years?), but I take them home and wire-brush/re-paint every few years, which has kept them very good. No failures.

I also keep a healthy coating of Corr-Block on the regulator/solenoid. That really helps.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html