Replacement solar panels

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
tallcuss
deckhand
deckhand

Replacement solar panels

Post by tallcuss »

Hello All,

Does anyone know a source for replacing the stock solar panels on a PDQ 32. My 2003 PDQ has two panels measuring 47-1/4 x 20-1/2 inches but I have been unable to find any panels with those dimensions.

Much thanks for any help, Ron
dreamcruiser
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Replacement solar panels

Post by dreamcruiser »

Hi Ron,

I have a 36 but I believe PDQ used the same panels on the 34. I used a flex panel from SunPower. They make both a 100 and 110 watt versions so you can get an increase in power as a benefit. I replaced the charge controller with a unit from Victron. The new panel dimensions are about 46 x 22 so I left the old panels in place, covered them with black plastic, then put a corrugated panel from Lowes on top of that for ventillation, then attached the new panels on top of that using stainless L brackets onto the old frames.

Hope this helps.
Jim
tallcuss
deckhand
deckhand

Post by tallcuss »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like you have come up with a good solution for your boat.

I also found a 2018 discussion on this subject at www.pdqforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3439.

I've attached a photo of my original setup. As thinwater said in his 2018 posting, the mounting is very simple and very strong, so I would like to keep it. I'd also like to find replacement panels of similar size to avoid drilling more holes in the bimini top. However, I am finding many retailers who do not even list the panel size.

I will continue looking.

Cheers, Ron
Attachments
solarPanels.jpg
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

The rigid panel mountings can be glued on, using either epoxy or polyurethane sealant (Sika 291 etc). I used epoxy, but Sika would have made removal easier (De-Bond takes polyurethanes off, even 3M 5200).

I mounted mine with glue-on studs that allowed leveling and zero twist. A 1.5-inch aluminum angle runs down each side.

This describes the installation. I didn't bother with panels under the boom because I often walked down the center of the hard top and dropped down onto the deck from there. I didn't want to block my walkway. No reason not to go all the way across.
http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2011/ ... anels.html

I'm not really a fan of flex panels unless there is no other way. I had some on my PDQ (extra capacity). I have one on my current F-24 mkI (only thing that will fit on the slider top). They are OK, but there is no way they last as long or provide the same dependability, and they are expensive for good ones. I'd stay with rigid panels for the back of the hard top. If you want to mount more panels, where they might be stepped on, then semi-flexible works. They can be glued, screwed, or even Velcroed (it works fine--there is a LOT of bond area).
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html