Piling spacing recommendations

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Tandem
deckhand
deckhand

Piling spacing recommendations

Post by Tandem »

I'm in the process of buying a 36 LRC and will be adding some pilings for her at my home. I have the good furtune of being able to place them wherever I choose. I'm looking for spacing recommendations.

I was thinking of 6 pilings (3 per side) with the total dimension of 43' x 25'...that's about +3' on all sides. Does that seem about right, tight, or too big?

Any suggestions on piling diameter and dolphins woud also be helpful.

Thanks,

Steve Persche
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the PDQ clan. We love our boats!

I keep Allezcat 36010 behind the house against a concrete seawall on a canal 80 ft wide. The boat sits against two "bumper" pilings spaced about 20 ft. The pilings are 10" and water jetted into the bottom about 6 ft. We have fender boards that ride the pilings and the bow and stern lines are "crosstied" from the seawall to each distant hull. There is a long fore and aft spring line also tied to the seawall. This allows the boat to ride the 3 ft tide change easily. I do not trust tying to the pilings.
Your proposed piling arrangement sounds good but I wonder if you need the center pilings? It seems four, well set, pilings 10"-12" should be enough. I would crosstie the bows and stern with 3/8" lines and a sturdy long fore and aft spring line, perhaps from the center cleat. If a storm is forecast, a good bow and stern anchor might be good insurance. Also the pilings should be high enough so the boat cannot ride over the top during a storm surge.

Chet
Allezcat 36010
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

I agree with Chet about not needing the third (middle) pilings. Since our boats are at their widest amidship, and narrow by at least 1' fore & aft, you are able to allow for greater tidal surge without worrying about banging that middle piling. You will probably never tie to the middle piling either.

Your dimensions of 43' x 25' should give you enough room for storm conditions, but may be a little excessive for everyday use. It all depends on where you live and the tidal surge. Our boat stays about 4' off the dock with whips which is sufficient up to about 20 knots of winds, after that she is forced against the fenders. During tropical/hurricane strength storms I pull her off the dock about 8'-10' and giver her enough line to spring with a tidal surge, but still stay off the dock.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Page 83
admiral
admiral

pilings

Post by Page 83 »

I have about that spacing at present, and wish I had double-braced or 'dolphined' pilings on the most open side. I would suggest you reduce the fore and aft dimension to 40' to reduce how far you have to reach out with a boat pole to drop your lines. There's not a lot to hold on to on the bow, if you have to reach out very far.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Tandem
deckhand
deckhand

Pilings

Post by Tandem »

Thanks for all the recommendations. I just submitted the CAMA permit paperwork for 40 x 25 pilings. I understand and agree with not normally needing the center piling but the PDQ will be next to an existing boat house with a very low catwalk around it. I may the center piling at least on that side. I also plan to make the most exposed corner a dolphin.

Thanks again,

Steve Persche
Tex Hill
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Tex Hill »

I use a middle piling. During a hurrican/storm the middle piling kept the boat off the dock