extra mooring cleats aft

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
halfmoon
1st mate
1st mate

extra mooring cleats aft

Post by halfmoon »

To secure dinghy in davits and for other various needs I would like to install cleats across from the standard cleats aft. The proposed location is over a cored area. What would be the best way to mount the cleats here?
thanks,
Alex Kehayes
Alex Kehayes
Edenton, NC
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Because the aft cleats are already in a fairly narrow area that is used often (swimsteps, dinghy functions, BBQ area, etc.), why would you want to add another toe-stubbing piece of gear on that part of the deck? If you aren't planning on using the cleats for heavy loads, you may consider mounting a rail mounted cleat on the lower dinghy davit supports.

Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
halfmoon
1st mate
1st mate

extra aft cleat

Post by halfmoon »

Chris,
If I bother to mount a cleat, it must be capable of carrying a heavy load. The inner "corner" of the deck aft is below the ss davit and its supports. It is not a travelled area asking for toes. At present there are three lines secured on the single aft cleat. I want more cleats. The question remains, how to secure a cleat over a cored area. Btw, I NEVER go barefoot on the boat unless preparing to jump in for a swim.
Alex Kehayes
Half Moon 36073
Alex Kehayes
Edenton, NC
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi alex,

first let me say that i'm not an engineer, so take the following for what it's worth.

i think that you have 2 problems to solve: 1) water intrusion 2) strength. as to #1, the standard practice is to rout out the core, fill the void with epoxy, and then re-drill the holes thru the epoxy. as to problem #2, you will have to get into figuring loads and perhaps using mat, carbon fiber, backing plates, etc to beef up the area in question. your solution to problem #2 might encompass #1 so i'd figure out how you're going to do #2 first.

i'm not familiar with the 36 at this level, but would it be possible to use the davit bases as an attachment point for the cleats?

good luck,
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Page 83
admiral
admiral

aft cleats

Post by Page 83 »

I recall seeing a cleat that bolted onto perforated toe rail. It was made from something like 1/4" rod shaped like the profile of a deck cleat.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Tex Hill
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Tex Hill »

West Marine carries a cleat that can be bolted to the toe rail. I use one mid ship for spring lines.