A/C thru-hull

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

A/C thru-hull

Post by Cat Tales »

I am planning on installing a 16k btu A/C under the port settee. The condensate drain will probably discharge very close to the unit and I would like to "T" the pump discharge into one of the galley sink outlets.

My question to everyone is for the placement of the through hull (1 inch), pump & strainer. Where are, or should, these be located? I originally thought about "T-ing" off the head through hull, but decided against it because our watermaker already pulls from there.

Any ingeneous thoughts or installation regrets are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

Our intake through hull and pump are in the Port Stateroom. The through hull is towards the aft area under the floorboard, and the pump is forward about halfway. The pump feeds a T which goes through the A/C unit and also a seawater faucet in the galley (which also has a foot-pump). The discharge is through a separate above the waterline fitting, behind the sinks. The A/C unit is mounted under the settee, port side, between our inverter and the fridge. You are welcome to come to Punta Gorda and look at the installation if you like.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Thanks Terry! I thought the keels extend forward, ending somewhere mid-floorboard in the staterooms, past the area where your through hull is placed. When diving under SecondWind do you remember how close the thru-hull is to the forward section of the keel? What about your bilge pump box, isn't that in the way?

Another question: You mentioned the discharge is a separate above-the-waterline through hull, behind the sinks. Does this mean you have 3 through hulls behind the galley sink (we have 2, 1 for each sink on Cat Tales).

Could you please take a picture of the port stateroom through hull & pump? My email is svCatTales@gmail.com The rest of your descriptions are very helpful.

Thank you,
Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Boynton Beach, FL
Dan White
admiral
admiral

A/C thru-hull

Post by Dan White »

Our A/C is under the starboard settee cushion, for weight balance purposes I believe, since the generator and Fridge are in the port hull.

The intake thru-hull and filter are very near the speedo thru-hull, just under the forward locker. The discharge is on the inboard side of the hull, above the waterline.

The thermostat/control is mounted on the same bulkead as the circuit breaker panel.

The air distribution is great, except for the aft cabin and head.

The heat cycle side is fine, unless you are crossing Lake Ontario and the water is too cold to make heat.

if you need heat regularly, consider another system so you don't have to run the generator at night and wake everyone. If fossil fueled, don't forget a CO monitor.
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Our future A/C unit will have to be placed under the port settee because the watermaker takes up too much room under the starboard settee.

Heat shouldn't be a problem - we live in Florida. But, for the off chance we make our way north into cold water, I am ordering the unit with electric hear vs. reverse cycle. The heat will operate without the need of the water pump (we can use it "on the hard").

I was looking into a way to pipe air into our aft rooms, but the access routes seem too difficult, even for a 2-inch duct. I guess our "garage" will still feel hot & sticky like a real garage :(

Is there any regret to having the inlet under the forward locker? Is there enough access for inspection, rotation of the ball valve, strainer cleaning, speedo pull & clean, etc.?

Thanks,
Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Boynton Beach, FL
Dan White
admiral
admiral

A/C thru-hull

Post by Dan White »

I wouldn't put it literally under the locker -- too much hassle. Just aft of it, so you can get to it by lifting the floorboard, but not too far aft, to avoid the lifting straps when hoisting out of the water.
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

I hadn't even considered the lifting straps. That's why I love this forum. Thanks for the tip!
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Boynton Beach, FL
Tex Hill
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Tex Hill »

I guess every PDQ is different. Our A/C is mounted under the stbd settee on the bridge deck. The intake is in the bilge just forward of the bulkead to the forward stbd cabin. The condensate drain is "T'd" into the exhaust line which exits thru the inside of the stbd hull up high near the curve of the bridge deck. The controls and thermostat are above the nav station alongside the electrical panel. It was easy to install by removing the Nav station.