Attaching a lifting tackle to Yamaha outboards

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
David West
deckhand
deckhand

Attaching a lifting tackle to Yamaha outboards

Post by David West »

I have just got new Yamahas for my boat. Hitherto I has lowered the old engines from an screweye attached to the cylinder block where the flywheel cowling was attached. This makes lowering the motor into the tight space much easier than using a rope/strap sling. The design of these new motors is different and the flywheel cowling is attached to a less sturdy aluminium frame. My mechanic, who I regard as very reliable, suggests that I lower the engine using the screw holes in the iron flywheel itself. I am a little uneasy doing this as the shaft of the flywheel resting on its bearings will take all the strain. I contacted Yamaha who replied that they could not advise me on the matter and regretted that they had never given the idea of how an engine could be lowered any consideration! Does anyone out there have any ideas as to whether it is OK to lift from the flywheel, or is there a better way?
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I have the old engines on Tanah Keeta and have used the flywheel to lift the engines very sucessfully. I fabricated a lifting plate from a round plate and drilled 3 holes to match the flywheel and a hole in the center for a large eyebolt. You can use the plate to pull the flywheel also by removing the eyebolt and using a gear puller.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Page 83
admiral
admiral

hoisting the engines

Post by Page 83 »

Page 83 is a soft-top, so hoisting the engines is much easier with the bimini folded forward. Using the main halyard and the boom, the engines hang exactly over the wells. I've raised and lowered the engines several times by myself with zero calamities and bloodshed. Its so easy I do it to make winterizing them a piece of cake.

I've been using a simple assembly consisting of a big 'D' shackle, three pieces of 1/4" chain four links long, metric screws to fit the flywheel holes, nuts and washers. The main halyard goes thu a snatch block attached to 'D' shackle and back up to one of the straps on the boom. The three pieces of chain link the 'D' shackle to the screws that are inserted in the holes in the fly wheel, in this order: the screw goes thru a washer big enough to keep the last link of the chain from slipping off, then thru the link, then two nuts. The screw goes into the flywheel only as deep as the threaded holes. a nut tightens down (finger tight) to the flywheel, and the second nut just holds the link on the screw. the links should all be pointing toward the center of the flywheel. The engine is very easy to lift, and very easy to lower slowly into the engine well, stopping to wiggle around any obstacles and rearrange cables and hoses. One word of caution: keep the screws short so they won't bend under load. When not in use, this concoction lives in a baggie in my engine parts shoebox with a light coat of WD40. No rust after 3 years!
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

David,
Allezcat is also a soft bimini. I use a preventer tackle (4:1) attached at the top to a u-bolt on the boom near the mainsheet (which is also used as a preventer attach point). The bottom snapshakle then hooks to a nylon strap harness that goes over the cowling and fastens underneath the cowling. The preventer has a jam cleat at the bottom. The harness normally resides on the dinghy engine so I can lift it from the dinghy to the rail mounted transom board. This has worked well for me.
Chet
Allezcat 36010