hot and cold water lines

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
warrenthames
deckhand
deckhand

hot and cold water lines

Post by warrenthames »

I am trying to install a new excel water heater in my 36 classic in the starboard aft locker. Does anyone know which of the water lines connect to the expansion tank (the hot or the cold line)? I removed the old wolter heater and didn't mark the hot and cold lines. Thanks, Warren
Last edited by warrenthames on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Root
skipper
skipper

Re: hot and cold water lines

Post by Root »

Hello Warren,

Our PDQ 36 -3695-2002 model came with color coded water lines red for hot and blue for cold. If you trace the lines you have back some you may discover which is which. You may have to go back as far as a sink, shower or transom faucet. You will like the Excel but be sure you remove all flow restrictors in all appliances. Ray
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

I also own a PDQ 36 Classic. A couple of years ago, I replaced the original gas water heater with an Excel in the aft starboard locker. It had one of those flashlight batteries that produced the spark to ignite the heater. Turned out it was NOT a salty air friendly device -- it quickly started severely rusting and became dysfunctional. I replaced it with the new fangled “ventless” Excel version that has a device that “spins up” from the water pressure to create a spark that ignites the heater. Instead of putting it in old location where it was subject to the harsh environment, I installed it inside the large locker in the head on the forward wall and ran the water lines under the floor over to the sink. I had to temporarily remove the shower sump well to access the hoses, but it was not a problem. Since it’s “ventless,” I didn’t have to worry about connecting it to a deck vent. It has worked flawlessly.

I keep several CO2 detectors on the boat, and they have not sensed any CO2 from the hot water heater, so I guess the ventless feature works as advertised.
Ed
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
warrenthames
deckhand
deckhand

Post by warrenthames »

Thanks,
I have the ventless one without the batteries but cannot seem to get it to turn on. I got the instructions for the battery operated one and asked for new instructions but I think the company service rep is on vacation. Any installation advice from anyone out there with a new excel is greatly appreciated. -Warren- sv "Nalani"- hull # 43, Naples. 239-910-2120.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Make sure the gas solenoid is on and you have enough water flowing through. I would turn the water flow and the gas flow up all the way to start then turn down to adjust.
richard beberman
deckhand
deckhand

Post by richard beberman »

I am interested in purchasing and installing an EXCEL ventless water heater in our PDQ 36022 Catch22 w here did you purchasre your heater snd sre there any secrets I should know about installation - thanks for any help and advice---dick beberman CATch22
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Go directly to them at: http://www.excelamerica.com/calentadores_eng.htm

Keep in mind that they are a Latin American company located in Miami area. They will answer and take care of any concerns but they sometimes take their time.

Nice unit. Not sure where to install on a 36. Maybe Sam can shed some light. On my 32 it's located in the starboard bow which is mostly isolated from the rest of the boat.