Diesel Air Heaters: Webasto type

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Diesel Air Heaters: Webasto type

Post by maxicrom »

All,

Has anyone installed a Webasto style forced air diesel heating system on a PDQ 36? Living aboard this year has been pretty chilly and we are looking at "safe" options that will hold a constant temperature with a minimal AC load (I guess I'm getting older). We currently use a combination of 16K BTU reverse cycle, eHeat panels ( 2 small, 2 regular), and a Force 10 Cozy Cabin propane unit - picking the best option(s) for the moment. Leaving the panels on during the day. The reverse cycle is very inefficient and only works to mid-December. Once the temp drops to 25 or below the panels maintain temp at about 55, kicking in the propane works in the evening but we don't feel good about leaving it on while sleeping. We know folks using the Webasto systems and they really like them. We have removed our Wolter water heater and I was thinking that might be a good place to mount the unit - but ducting could be an issue.

Any ideas,

MB
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Re: Diesel Air Heaters: Webasto type

Post by Cat Tales »

Our 16k btu A/C unit from Flagship Marine has electric heat instead of reverse cycle. It won't work away from the dock without a generator, but it also doesn't have the water temperature limitations that reverse cycle units have. The design is extremely safe and designed for your kind of weather. - http://www.flagshipmarine.com

Another options...as I was reading this months issue of Lats & Atts, there is a small diesel furnace advertised from Wallas Nautic Heating System which may work for your needs. - http://www.wallas.fi or http://www.scanmarineusa.com
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Chris,

Thanks for info... the Wallas looks interesting, worth looking at. I have neighbor with the coil heat system instead of reverse cycle and they are really pleased with it as well. Our goal is keep at 30A service or lower year round - and the Webasto style systems are 12v.

8) Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Our A/C system draws 12 amps total and the heat coil draws 18 amps total (too much for our small Honda 2000, but in a pinch could work with the inverter and the generator making up 65% of the battery drain).
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
richard beberman
deckhand
deckhand

Post by richard beberman »

Our wolter hot water just commited suicide and I am curious about your replacement after reading your post that you had to replace your hot water heater dick beberman catch 22 36022
thinwater
admiral
admiral

You may want to confirm the math on this

Post by thinwater »

Cat Tales wrote:Our A/C system draws 12 amps total and the heat coil draws 18 amps total (too much for our small Honda 2000, but in a pinch could work with the inverter and the generator making up 65% of the battery drain).
If you are missing 12 amps at 110v, that is ~ 130 amps on the battery. The voltage drawdown will be great and I suspect it might last 1 hour....

If the inverter holds. Most inverters arn't rated for a fraction of that continuous use and will trip the 100v load within 10 seconds. You hope.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

maxicrom wrote:All,

Has anyone installed a Webasto style forced air diesel heating system on a PDQ 36? Living aboard this year has been pretty chilly and we are looking at "safe" options that will hold a constant temperature with a minimal AC load (I guess I'm getting older). We currently use a combination of 16K BTU reverse cycle, eHeat panels ( 2 small, 2 regular), and a Force 10 Cozy Cabin propane unit - picking the best option(s) for the moment. Leaving the panels on during the day. The reverse cycle is very inefficient and only works to mid-December. Once the temp drops to 25 or below the panels maintain temp at about 55, kicking in the propane works in the evening but we don't feel good about leaving it on while sleeping. We know folks using the Webasto systems and they really like them. We have removed our Wolter water heater and I was thinking that might be a good place to mount the unit - but ducting could be an issue.

Any ideas,

MB
I would suggest a Home Depot CO detector (2 aa batteries) so that you can run the propane at night. I know my Dixson heater has done fine re. CO, but I don't know about the Cozy Cabin. The exaust pipe is much smaller and it is not sealed. Check and see!
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Thanks for the tip,

We're doing fine... if we've made it to this point there is light at the end of the tunnel. 20"+ of snow last week and still kick'n - hopefully mother nature will start runnin' low on the snow after tonight (we're expectin' 8 to 10"). We just turn on the electric mattress warmer before going to bed, our two Westies are excellent mobile heaters.

Come on spring,

Mike & Linda
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max