Refrigeration

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Refrigeration

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Factory fridge is still running but drawing a bit more current than newer models so we are looking at a new unit for the future. Looking at the advantages/comparison between a similar compressor unit going into the old box versus the possibility of going to a self contained fridge unit cut into space of the old insulated box. Has anyone installed a stand-up front loader in that space and if so, can you provide current draw and space requirements, modifications required, etc? I have the low box that goes under the settee with the cupboard above, not the higher box I have seen in some of the newer hulls.

Has anyone made this mod to the 36 or are there 36s out there with front loader fridges vs the external compressor to cooler box units? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam and Gina
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Re: Refrigeration

Post by maxicrom »

Sam & Gina,

We have the same fridge box that you do - our original unit fizzled a few years ago and we replaced ours with an EZ Kold unit - it comes with a SS Cold Plate and can be run with either air or water cooling. Ours has been running for about 4 years now and works great - the cold plate takes about 3 days to fully defrost. When we bought ours they were custom building the cold plate for any size box (within reason), ours fits almost perfect at the back of the box. Installation took about 1/2 day requiring cutting a small hole in the upper rear corner to run the tubes (they are quick connect) and the unit comes pre-charged. The compressor unit fit perfectly in the same footprint as the original. I added the thru-hulls for the water cooling but still haven't got around to connecting it - I was planning on using the pull out cabinet under the fridge for the pump (still have not found a good spot for the griddle yet).

EZ Kold is based in Canada and we met them at the Annapolis boat show - http://www.e-zkold.com/. They were very easy to work with and at the time very competitive with most other models (most of the others did not have a heavy duty stainless cold plate). We have found it particularly nice knowing we can leave the refrigeration off for a day or two without any concern. The only issue we have had is that the Ice Box door is not air tight so condensation will build up ice on the cold plate - solution is to turn it off for a weekend and wipe out the melt water.

It is a trick mounting the cold plate - it would be a piece of cake if the box was not so deep (only 4 screws hold it in place). I ended up marking the holes and drilling first - then blocked the cold plate in position and used a really long screw driver. Once you are happy with the mounting you need to remove it and attached the coolant tubes and remount it. There is clay insulation sealer with the kit. We did not use any of the ice tray stuff - the plate is too far back to reach easily.

Good luck,

Mike 8)
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Post by philiprmcgovern »

Sam:

I'm not sure what you mean by "front loader". Ours (hull 36) is an "L" shaped box that is both a front loader and a top loader. It came from the factory with an amp hogging Grunert compressor/cold plate setup.

We swapped it for an Adler Barbor (now Waeco) Cold Machine that takes up one third the space in the setee and uses an evaporator in the box (think of grandma's old freezer/ice cube maker). The Waeco uses a very small fraction of the amps and we are very pleased with it. It also weighs a very small fraction of the old Grunert. It's very quiet and we wouldn't even hear it kick on if it weren't for the computer fan that we hooked up to improve airflow in the settee box per the manufacturer's suggestion. The evaporators come in two flavors: vertical and horizontal and probably take up less total box space than your cold plate. I would think that one of them would fit in your box regardless of it's shape or configuration.

I know that some other PDQer's have gone the same route with good results. They do have some quality control issues, but will readily repair/replace whatever is wrong under warranty.

As I recall, our setup (compressor and evaporator) came in at less than one boat unit.

If you have Q's, let me know.

Phil
s/v Sunshine
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Replacing the original refrigeration and air conditioning units are next on my major projects list. Any thoughts on combining the two functions?
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

Sam,

We replaced Dream Catchers factory Adler Barbour compressor with a new BD35 Dan Foss compressor, kept the existing factory evaporator plate in the fridge and went from using 6 amps while running to 3. Of course run time depends on the coolness setting, but the efficiency is much, much better.

We also carry an external freezer(38 quart) made by Engel. This too uses a Danfoss BD35 compressor, draws 3 amps when running and can make ice cubes in 8 hours. With the external freezer, we now keep the built in unit at the warmest setting which in summertime Bahamian weather causes the compressor to run 20 minutes per hour (~24 amps per day) while the external freezer runs 30 minutes per hour (~36 amp per day). The Engel was around $650 when we bought it 3 years ago.

Just my two cents,
Tom

www.tendervittles.net
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Tom:

We have a 38 quart Engel freezer on our "gotta have" list to keep all of those huge fish I'm going to catch some day. We also learned the importance to taking your own food to the Bahamas and the little evaporator/freezer in our Cold Machine is not what you would call huge. I"m curious to know where you installed yours. I know one PDQ who installed it in the port aft section after doing some fairly major chopping and sawing and another one who just stuck it under the helm. From what little I know, the under the helm idea appeals to me. Where is yours and are you happy with its placement? Also, did you buy the cover for it and, if so, do you think it is worth it? Thanks.

Phil McGovern
s/v Sunshine
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

Phil,

Ours is just sort of free standing in the port side aft cabin right next to the small hutch where our three weasels sleep for the night. We looked at the cover they offered and I think it was like a $100 extra, so we passed. I made an insulated cover for ours that we used for the first season, but the hassle of trying to put it on and off got to be too much and we gave it away. I definitely wouldn't spend the extra money to get it.

As an aside, get the smallest unit you can get by with. I seriously considered getting the mega sized unit, but after seeing some friends who have that size unit I'm glad we have the smaller version. Sometimes we run out of room, but it costs the same to freeze empty space as it does lobster and somehow I always feel cheated paying to freeze empty space.

Good luck
Tom

www.tendervittles.net
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Thanks, Tom. That's very helpful. I was having doubts about that cover and your experience confirmed my suspicions about it. You just saved us $100.

The port aft cabin probably won't work for us. Not only is it our nav station/computer room, but it's also our only access to the port diesel. I already have to move way too much stuff in order to get the engine. The fridge may have to go in the port stateroom a/k/a the garage. That would be more convenient for the cook since it would be a little closer to our existing fridge.

Did you find that the 38 quart model was larger than you needed? If we could get by with the next smaller size, it would be easier to stow, not to mention cheaper to buy.

Thanks again,

Phil
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

Phil,

I almost bought the next size up in the freezer line, but Amy talked me out of it. She doesn't read this forum, so I can say it, she was right and I was wrong. It's easy to fill up the freezer here in the states before crossing over, but once we're down island for a few months and I have eaten all the steaks and shrimp we cross over with, the only thing we end up putting in the freezer is ice and whatever I can catch fishing (lobster, conch, etc). If I could go back and swap mine for the next size smaller I'd do it in a heart beat as it is less weight, uses less power and fits through the doorways without having to turn it sideways.

Hope this helps.
Tom
www.tendervittles.net
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

I have one of the old front loading ice boxes. I installed a "Cool Blue" cold plate / compressor and have been very happy with it. I also have a portable ac/dc smaller Engel freezer we keep in the garage (aft port bunk) and LOVE it. It and our water-maker are the two best things we've ever added to our boats.
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

I was thinking something like this:

http://www.indelmarineusa.com/grafik/pr ... CR130S.gif

AC/DC powered, front loading, compressor is located in the box, opens up space under the settee.

Would have to find one that fits in the space. I could have sworn I saw one on a PDQ36, taking up more height than our standard fridge. Maybe it was on a 32?

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Sam,

You may have been thinking about our 32. We installed the Waeco CR-110 and have been very happy with it.
Attachments
cr_0110e_1.jpg
cr_0110e_1.jpg (39.05 KiB) Viewed 17301 times
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Can you provide some details like price, dimensions, current draw, DC only or AC/DC, web link?

Thanks,
Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

We got ours from http://www.petersonmarineinc.com over in Tampa area. Their website is weak so I would call them for current pricing (813) 854-2252.

It's about 3.8cu ft and draws about 3.5 amps in 12vdc while running. It has the automatic switch over so when shore power is lost it goes to 12vdc on it's own.

Downside to the front loading fridge is that you loose all your cold air everytime you open it; this can be minimised by keeping it full (add water bottles until full). I also noticed that I have to defrost this every couple of months, maybe because the kids keep it open all the time maybe I'm just too critical?

More info this is a good description to look at: http://www.sailgb.com/p/Waeco_CoolMatic_CR110_Fridge/

I'll be on the boat tomorrow if you want to take a look; give me a call.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

OK, thanks. Have you ever paid attention to the duty cycle? Is it always on or does it cycle? My Adler Barbour Cold Machine on the Endeavour drew about 3 amps but it was only on for 20-30 minutes per hour so the average current draw was much less than if it was on full time, but that ice box was heavily insulated. Not sure about these...

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL