gelcoat update

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Bob
admiral
admiral

gelcoat update

Post by Bob »

I wanted to touch up a few dings on my hull so I bit the bullet and chased some down. I think it was Knotty Kat that listed the color info. Salwa provided the supplier info and I pulled out the credit card. For anyone interested here is the info: Progress Plastics & Compounds, Mississauga, ON, Canada, 905-670-9490. The hull color is Silver Haze 533106 and is a custom mix. Minimum purchase is 1 gallon @$70 CDN. The shock was when it showed up at the door---$135 for shipping! I'll likely use only a pint. I'm home ported in Maine but will be heading south next fall so if anyone needs some and can meet me along the way you are welcome to it.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Re: gelcoat update

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Bob wrote:$135 for shipping!
OUCH :!: :!: :!:
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Post by holomoku »

Did the color match?
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

I won't know for sure until late May (20 degrees here today) but Progressive did research it and confirmed the color match.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Post by holomoku »

If things work out with my purchase, I shoud be in the Chesapeake by summer with a PDQ 36 needing touch up.

Check back with me when you head south....I'll buy the rum!
martincreek150
1st mate
1st mate

Gelcoat update

Post by martincreek150 »

Ahoy, Peace. Did the Silver Haze fit the bill? Good match? We're planning to undertake some gelcoat repairs and would appreciate reassurance that Silver Haze is the real deal.
Dempster and Carole Wheeler
Nalani 36043
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

It was not even close. Looked more like an off white. In retrospect I think a good gelcoat repair guy could have done a closer match. After talking with a fellow at a marina in St Augustine and looking at his results I am leaning towards the roll and tip method of applying a 2 part polyurethane. His boat looked like new and I thought so until he told me and I got up close and really looked. For what that gallon of gelcoat ultimately cost me it would have been 25% towards the cost to paint.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

A few years ago, I used a 2-part Interthane color, Hatteras White. It was almost perfect. I don't know if it's still available though.
Marc