Cheap PDQ 36

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
admiral
admiral

Cheap PDQ 36

Post by 36041 »

All,

I periodically check online to see what the asking price of our PDQ's is on average and I saw this :
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1994/Pd ... ted-States
The boat is listed at 69,000 which seems ultra low. The short detailed write up doesn't give a clue as to why the price is about half of what other vessels are listed at and I was just curious if anyone knows why?

Regards,
Tom
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: Cheap PDQ 36

Post by SecondWind »

Tom,

That boat is hull #43 (Anagyri). It is s shame that it sold so cheaply since it devalues all of our boats.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
carib sailor
1st mate
1st mate

Post by carib sailor »

That asking price isn't just low, it's insane by any measure.

There absolutely has to be something more to this story.
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

I smell some kind of repo

Chet
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Looking at the full specs they listed two Yamaha 9.9s that put out 15hp each. Neat trick huh?

I hope we learn why it sells so cheap. Whoever buys it I'll do a free Narcotics scan for you, better to know now instead of when customs starts asking questions.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Last week it was on National Boat Liquidators site but the listing is down now. It was an auction starting at $69K. I can't imagine it actually sold for that. I think the yachtworld listing went up to send people to the auction site and the real selling price is not what we are seeing. I will see what else I can find out.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
halfmoon
1st mate
1st mate

Post by halfmoon »

Anagyri was our introduction, via charter on the Chesapeake, to the PDQ 36. This was in Spring of 2002. I believe Les stopped the charter business shortly thereafter, but don't know the fate of Anagyri after that. Hope she finds a good owner.
Alex Kehayes
Edenton, NC
martincreek150
1st mate
1st mate

Inexpensive but not cheap PDQ 36

Post by martincreek150 »

Carole and I bought "Cheapy" last Monday in Fort Lauderdale. This has been the boat buying experience of a life time. We wired a 10% deposit based on the Yachtworld photos and on several conversations with the south Florida broker.

The broker first said that he'd taken the boat on trade. But, we knew better. I found a prior owner and telephoned him to see if I could learn anything about the background of the boat. To my dismay, the prior owner explained that he had recently lost the boat to foreclosure. The conversation was as emotional as you'd expect it to be if someone had just taken your PDQ away. He was a very fine gentlemen who explained to me, after I apologized for contacting him, that in life some people benefit from the misfortune of others. He was constructive and I purposefully kept the conversation short. He asked, "What price are they asking?" When I answered, he strongly suggested that I make the purchase. We did.

The boat looks much better in person than she did in the photos. We knew that the Yamahas were dead. And she housed a mouse at one time. But, the sails are good. She's dry inside. And , we can buy new everything that she needs and still be way ahead of the PDQ game. She was the fifth PDQ that we'd seen. We'd made a failed offer on a 36 earlier this year. We'd made an offer on a 32 that was taken off of the market before it could be sold. This boat is in better shape than any of the boats that we'd seen. Seems that almost every 36 for sale out there also needs engines.

The broker snatched the Web page down, so other sellers won't suffer any longer. He was still suffering a deluge of telephone contacts. I was surprised how many people seemed to want a PDQ bargain.

Now will come an endless barrage of question from me, asking for suggestions and guidance as we fix her up. This Forum is great. Hang in with us.
Dempster and Carole Wheeler
Nalani 36043
MagicDragon
skipper
skipper

Post by MagicDragon »

Congratulations on getting a great buy and joining a wonderful group of sailors!
http://www.MagicDragonPDQ.com
Angela Barbati
S/V Magic Dragon 36054
near Cleveland, OH
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

I really feel the pain for Warren. He's a great guy.

Chet
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

Thanks for the info. Good luck with your boat and welcome to the family.

Regards,
Tom