Shoot Thru or Just Thru Thru

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
admiral
admiral

Shoot Thru or Just Thru Thru

Post by 36041 »

Hey all,

I have recently received a new transducer for our chart plotter to extend its functionality as a depth sounder as well. We already have the factory autohelm depth sounder which has a thru hull installation in the forward starboard side tube. The instruction manual for the new unit says it can be installed as a shoot thru rather than a cut thru and I am wondering who else has done the shoot thru install and what your experiences have been. As always, thanks in advance.

Regards,
Tom
www.tendervittles.net
Sunshine
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Shoot Thru or Just Thru Thru

Post by Sunshine »

Hello Tom,

The transducer for our Garmin 545s shoots through the hull. The 545s is also a fish finder. I like it because it shows the contour of the bottom in a split screen with the chart plotter function. The transducer is mounted in the closet in the stateroom of the starboard hull. I epoxied a four inch pvc tube to the hull. The tube is tall enough to accommodate the transducer which is mounted to a lid that just rests on top of the tube. The tube is filled with fresh water which is replenished two or three times a year as the water evaporates. I was going to use vegetable oil, but the water works fine. This system works well, although it has difficulty reading depths less than four feet when the bottom is a soupy kind of muck.
Bill and Anna Marie
S/V "Sunshine" PDQ 34002
West Creek, NJ
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Post by philiprmcgovern »

Tom:

Like the other Sunshine, we also use a Garmin 545S and wouldn't leave home without it. Actually, before I bothered to RTFM, I tried to mount the transducer externally on the inboard side of the aft end of the starboard hull. This, of course, didn't work because of all the water turbulence.

That forced me to open and read the manual and I discovered the wonders of the "shoot thru" method of mounting. In my case, I mounted it in the same bilge on the starboard side as the one that houses the shower sump pump. I just used the epoxy goop to stick it to the hull and didn't bother with water or oil as a medium. So far, it's worked just great. As I recall, I did build a temporary dam around the attachment point and filled it with water during the installation phase, but have not put water in it since.

Bill's method may well be the better way to do it, but mine works and is probably easier. Also, I'm a little surprised that the cable was long enough for his installation. Take your pick and best wishes. Let us know how it goes.

Phil McGovern
s/v Sunshine
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

Thanks guys, as soon as this damn heat breaks, I'll give it a try.

Regards,
Tom
www.tendervittles.net