Salon Bulkhead

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
admiral
admiral

Salon Bulkhead

Post by 36041 »

All,

The laminate on Dream Catcher's aft salon bulkhead is worn out. Rather than remove and then re-apply said laminate, can you just paint over it? I think it would probably look OK and even if it doesn't, I'm no worse off than now as far as replacing it goes.

The veneer looks nice, but it has never really held up to full-time live aboard cruising. We covered our pseudo teak and holly floors a number of years ago and have never regretted, so I'm leaning towards giving it a try, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Has anyone done this? Any suggestions on paint and prep? Any and all opinions welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Tom
www.tendervittles.net
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: Salon Bulkhead

Post by SecondWind »

Tom,

Since Paint & Wood & Water don't go too well together, I think I would try another option. How about something like a grasscloth glued to the veneer? Just an idea, but it might hold up better than paint.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

Tom,

A couple years ago I had the dreaded "leaking baby stay" problem. We rebedded the stay and repaired a couple spots on the plywood bulkhead between the forward cabins. I did not reinstall the carpet on that bulkhead, because I didn't want anything that would absorb the water and therefore conceal a leak in the future. Instead, I painted that bulkhead with bright white Awlgrip. I think it actually looks a lot better and more modern and less 70's. The Awlgrip is expensive but it looks exactly like the day I painted it on.

Brendan
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

You might consider white formica - you can get 4x8 sheets of it at Lowes or other builing supply stores. I've used it to cover bulkheads on another boat and it looked really good . Cover the seams with strips of teak. Ed
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

What did you cover your floors with? It does not look like replacing them is practical.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

Bob,

The floor covering we ordered online from Defender. The product was called Nautolex vinyl flooring and it came in several diffrent color/patterns. We opted for the sharkskin variant found here: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... 0&id=23628

Attached is a picture from early this summer when i replaced our salon table with a much smaller unit, cut in access hatches to the storage under the salon floor and then covered the floor with Nautolex.
floor1.jpg
floor1.jpg (163.39 KiB) Viewed 10499 times
Regards,
Tom
http://www.tendervittles.net