Mainsail outhaul line replacement

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
martincreek150
1st mate
1st mate

Mainsail outhaul line replacement

Post by martincreek150 »

I'm trying to figure out how to replace the mainsail outhaul line and I'm coming to the daunting conclusion that I may have to remove the mainsail, remove the boom and remove the rivets in the boom cap ends, just to get at the gooseneck end of the outhaul line?

My outhaul from the clew is a piece of wire connected to a double fiddle block (attached). The lines to and from the fiddle block lead forward into the abyss of the boom. I have the end of the outhaul that I pull and release to adjust the tension. but I can't see what's going on the forward/gooseneck end of the boom and how to release the line at that end so that I can replace it. I would expect a single block with the bitter end tied in a stopper not somewhere. But, there's no stopper that I can find? I've got to be missing something?

How are other PDQ 36 mainsail outhaul arranged?
Attachments
This block is inside boom toward stern
This block is inside boom toward stern
DoubleFiddleBlock.jpg (2.7 KiB) Viewed 6557 times
Dempster and Carole Wheeler
Nalani 36043
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Re: Mainsail outhaul line replacement

Post by holomoku »

I don't recall there being a block on the outhaul on mine. I had to re-run my single line reefing and those both had blocks inside the boom. My reefing blocks fit through the opening at the clew end of the boom. Can you pull your outhaul out through that end? may need to add attach additional line to the winch end of your outhaul to lengthen it. Unless your boom end is to small, you shouldn't need to drill out the rivets. Another handy tool is a fish tape. I like the fiberglass rod type that screw together for getting lines re-strung through the boom.
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: Mainsail outhaul line replacement

Post by SecondWind »

Inspect the cap on the forward end of the boom. Parts of it can be removed without taking out rivets. Fiberglass rods help immensely, but you need to be careful that you don't tangle the outhaul in the reefing lines or their blocks. You do not need to remove the main.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind