up the mast

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Kia Orana
deckhand
deckhand

up the mast

Post by Kia Orana »

For those who find it necessary to go up the mast we have learned of a fairly easy
way to get someone up there. Both DeWalt and Milwaukee make heavy duty drills, with
24 volt batteries. And there is a website where you can get a bit for such a drill that fits
in a winch. Thus it is possible to use this to winch someone up the mast. I have found that
it works best when the drill is in the remove-a-screw mode, but this sometimes ends up
releasing the bit, so I keep needle-nosed pliers available to retrieve the bit and start again.
I can easily send my wife up the mast, but she can also send me up there.
Dick Wood, on Kia Orana
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Re: up the mast

Post by chicagocat »

Thanks Dick,
That's exactly what I use as well. I get about 1.5 times up the mast per charged battery. I may buy a second battery soon.

Brendan
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

I have one of those as well. Gets my 200 pounds up the mast with no problem. A nice bonus is that with the winch bit, it doubles as a way to have electric winches, which I love, especially when sailing short-handed..
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

I go 210 and when my wife tried to winch me up I noticed hairline cracks in the gelcoat at the base of the winch molding profile. This also happened on my previous PDQ as well. Anyone else notice this? I now have an ATN mast climber but with short legs it looks like a monkey changing a diaper when I use it.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Actually, I pulled a winch out of the deck on a breezy day.

Post by thinwater »

It was installed (I think) by the PO and did not have a backing plate nor over-size washers.

Yes, I would take it seriously. Pull the ceiling and see how it is mounted.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Bob wrote: I now have an ATN mast climber but with short legs it looks like a monkey changing a diaper when I use it.
I also have a ATN climber. I've had it for 11 years, and it works great. I could care less how I look going up. I'm sure it's ugly.
Marc