Cistern off of hardtop

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Cistern off of hardtop

Post by eepstein »

Cistern from hardtop gutter to jerry jug
Cistern from hardtop gutter to jerry jug
photo.JPG (131.92 KiB) Viewed 8334 times
When we purchased our PDQ in 2008 is had holes drilled in the gutter on the hardtop to reroute water. I got the idea to attach hose adapters and collect rain water.

So I glued in a hose adapter with epoxy that I purchased from Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/Genova-53128-2x3- ... C15TD04G0X)
Then we ran a hose off each side to a 5 gallon jerry jug, so that we don't contaminate the tank water. I do have the starboard hose long enough to reach the tank, in case I ever want to fill it directly.
When it rains, we let the water flow over the side for a bit to clean off the roof, or wash the hard top, which I did one to get the bird dropping off.
Then put the hose in the jerry jugs.

We just recently started using it in earnest, and get about 5 gallons in each jug from a good thunder storm.

I purchased some Aquatabs for the water, but doubt its really needed.

Has anyone had long term experience with a Cistern or collecting rain water on their boat?

Thanks,
Eric
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
swithen
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Cistern off of hardtop

Post by swithen »

We have collected rainwater from the gutters during many trips on Cadenza (Hull #51). You need to ensure that the gutters are clean, and we usually let some water run before we start collecting. We have hose fitted from both gutter holes and arranged so that it drains directly into the water tank opening on the deck.

Colin & Ruth Swithenbank
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Our method is definitely more crude...

http://www.zerotocruising.com/open-the- ... e-hatches/

It works though. We always have the buckets out when at anchor and can typically collect enough water to do dishes, laundry and shower most days.
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

All the fresh water available in the Bahamas and most of the Virgins is made by reverse osmosis (RO) which also filters out a lot of the minerals we normally get from drinking water. Rain Water provides them, and tastes better. If you are drinking RO water for an extended time (I don't know how long) you will feel better with a vitamin and mineral supplement. I really don't think the brand matters.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026