Newbie - What to Watch Out for

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Vertigo
deckhand
deckhand

Newbie - What to Watch Out for

Post by Vertigo »

Hello to the PDQ community.

After coming to realization that 38+ cats are not right for our vertically challenged bridges, shallow bays, lack of haul out facilities and given we are still working stiffs and not ready to go OZ, Wifey and I decided a PDQ 36 is the logical candidate. Looked a couple of 1990-1993 and was impressed by the longevity and build quality.

We are a wire transfer away from offers on either a 98-2000-ish 36 Capella or 95-99 LRC but would truly appreciate some PDQ "what to watch out for words "WWOW" of wisdom. Yes, will have survey, but trying to weed out the undesirables before spending time and money. We have hands on experience building two fiberglass sloops (26' and 34') and very mechanically inclined (engine rebuilds, sports car restorations), house builds.... so we suffer from CDIAS "Can Do It All Syndrome". However, as I'm constantly told by Wifey.."You Don't have the Time to do That".

So any words of wisdom, experience, mistakes (redundant..) are greatly appreciated to save our 34 year marriage.

Also noticed some PDQ have a cabin hatch vs slider with different helm console. Was this a option, feature or unique to certain models/years?

TIA...
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Re: Newbie - What to Watch Out for

Post by Dan White »

Mine is a 2003 Capella, non-LRC, which we bought new. My only issue has been occasional leaking around the cabin windows. Flowable silicone fixes it right up.
Otherwise, we have been extremely pleased for 10 years.
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

Not exactly sure what you mean about the cabin hatch. Can you describe further?

If you really find a boat you like, I would strongly recommend James Power or Dan Rankin to check it out. Both are well worth the travel expenses to have them look at a boat. Both put in many years at the PDQ factory and can evaluate almost any problem. I have their contacts on request.
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
Obhoy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Obhoy »

Need contact info on two guys that worked at factory thank you
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

James Power monitors this list, you can also PM him on here.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Obhoy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Obhoy »

Looking to purchase a pdq 36 . Noticed one with two stern mounted 15 horse outboards, how would it perform ,speed,steering etc..also. Noticed a gemini with stern mounted outboards along with the standard deisel.and what difference would 15 hp be over 9.9 thanks
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

There is a lot on the forum (and www.pdq36.com) about the 15hp upgrade to that vessel...

As for Gemini (biased opinion from a PDQ owner), one engine, Stillette leg is unreliable and hard to find parts, no trampolines on a cat???

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

Obviously, I am biased, but in my opinion there is no comparison between the Gemini and the PDQ. The quality difference is evident everywhere you look. I chartered and looked hard at Gemini before I ordered my PDQ, because there was a significant price difference AND the factory was only 50 miles away. But, as often happens, you get what you pay for.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Take Gemini out on a rough day to windward for a few hours, or even minutes. Bam, bam, bam, bam....

I don't like the visibility forward.

And then there is the fact that there are VERY few PDQ owners post re. structural issues with old PDQs. Really, anything other than minor components that wear out over time is very rare. They can really bash.

There are reasons you don't find old, cheap PDQ project boats. Speaking to the OPs question, read the board; I don't think there are many stories of hidden nightmares, just worn sails and engines and things like that.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html