Mast Splice

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: Mast Splice

Post by Page 83 »

All carburetored outboard engines are susceptable to gum build up from leaving ethanol in the float bowl for longer periods of time. The easy fix is to remove the carb and soak it in a gallon bucket of carb cleaner. They come with a handy metal basket inside. If the PO has passed, you should ask to look in his garage for on or two of those buckets, They might have your carbs inside!

If the gas has been in the bowl long enough for some evaporation to take place, you will need to physically remove some of the amber colored goo with thin, stiff wire and compressed air.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Thanks Gents!!

Heading to Corpus now to check on progress and poke my nose in various nooks and crannies.

Lovin' it!!

Must...ditch...rose-colored glasses....

Joe Mc
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Brendan,

You're a genius! That spiffy Tides Marine sail track system was in place with a pretty crispy (in a good way) mainsail! Zippity-do it flies up the mast and alaka-zam it slides down into its bag! Well, the end game is old school so someone has to properly flake the sail to and fro, secure it, and zip it into the bag. Lazy jacks and stack pack are officially on my Xmas list.

There was no evidence of leaks in the berths. The mattresses looked brand new (actually old but never/seldom used) and the wall covering was intact and unstained. All the wood trim was in excellent shape. The bilge was clean and dry.

Everything was very dry, except the space under the bow lockers. I opened the access ports and thrust my hand into that very dark place. This is a PDQ!! How bad could it be? There was about three inches of clean (I think) water. It did not smell. I did not taste it. I did think I would pump it out next time I visit. I doubt it would sail to its numbers pushing that weight through the surf. It is also missing the port bow manual bilge pump. But, that is in the garage waiting its turn to get installed.

Everybody:

I found the galley seawater pump in the cupboard under the sink. I looked at the mounting position. It looks like the cabinet will have to come out in order to make the re-installation of the sea-water pump possible. It is a work in progress.

There were access ports on the inboard wall of each of the bow storage lockers. They were remarkably clean. I could not see anything in there. My flashlight batteries were about shot. Thee are a lot of nooks and crannies in this boat. MUST NOT FILL EVERY NOOK AND CRANNIE WITH STUFF!

There were no air conditioners in any of the nooks and crannies. Keeping it light for sailing!! It has only the original fridge on the inboard counter of the galley. I'm thinking more refrigeration is on my Xmas list also.

The mechanic was not enjoying the Easter egg hunt he was involved in. The carbs are in place, but the engines have not been started yet. All the PDQ experience in town went to catamaran heaven, I guess.

I think I read somewhere that the carbs for the 8hp engines are different from the 9hp engines. Makes sense.

There is a bonding strap under the starboard side salon seat. Does it get connected to something?

There is a lot to learn.

Thanks for your help!

Joe Mc
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Yamaha high thrust engines are enjoying a surge in popularity as trolling auxiliaries for outboard-engined fishing machines, so there should be a few mechanics around that are familiar with them. It seems your mechanic's experience has varied. I have the eights on my 36 and have been very happy with them: they have good power, start regularly, and don't get tangled in a hoisting lanyard.

If you get the main furled and stored properly a few times, it might learn how to drop into its lazy-bag without assistance. What do you have for electronics?
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Thanks Sandy!

A uniden vhf with remote and a sturdy block of SSB radio showed up yesterday. There is a radar on a pole on the starboard stern. The base of the pole is rotted and on the pre-survey fix list. There is a Katadyn 40E in a box on the aft cockpit bench. There is a battery and some switches in the box with the watermaker. Three solar panels are on the bimini in front of the traveler. There is a tiny controller with a lit lamp for the solar inside the electrical box in front of the helm(where the steering cables live too). There is the standard tridata and autohelm display on the helm. There is a sat phone. I haven't seen the chartplotter or auto-pilot. There are two transducers in the starboard bilge forward of the nav station but aft of the stateroom. One is directed down and one directed toward inboard. I'm not sure what it has for wind, depth, or speed.

The boat does not have a hole in it that I know of(that is not there by order of learned folk).

There are some(many) unanswered questions with this deal. In a year from now I'll know better how good this deal is, probably.

I remain very appreciative for the support of this forum.

Joe Mc
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

The mast measured at about 39'4". So, it is not a tall rig. I'm estimating about 47' for bridge clearance. About right?

The ForceTen oven was also disassembled. I'll post pix in a new thread later.

There was a heater in the aft starboard hull lazerette. 'Was', as in, no longer present. Any suggestions for replacement? It appeared it may have been 12v and propane.

I pumped the water out of the forward hull compartments. We'll see if there is more water back in there today. Tested as salt water.

After new batteries, and a replaced wire and breaker to the new charger, the DC electronics finally came to life last night. We'll try to check the Adler Barbour fridge (looks like original) and water system today (after connecting hot water supply).

Salt water pump in galley was removed due to toe-stubbing. I'll be re-installing and posting in a new thread about possible modifications to reduce the toe-stubbing problem.

Keep in mind that the PO is deceased. The patient (Cat's Meow) is starting to cooperate a little more, but is still a tad cranky after being roused from a sound sleep.

There are no electric bilge pumps installed. This probably deserves a few exclamation points, but I am open to suggestions. Is it bad karma to insinuate that the vaunted PDQ might, you know, the opposite of float?

More to follow,

Joe Mc
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086