Shower sump pump hose

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Shower sump pump hose

Post by chicagocat »

All,
I'm having difficulty with the shower sump pump. It has suction for a few seconds, then loses it. I swapped out the pump and bypassed the filter as a test and have the same problem. I think it probably is sucking air at some point.

What's strange to me is that the hose that feeds the the sump pump should come directly from the shower drain (I think). Instead, it seems to snake around under the bathroom floor (it's hard to tell exactly what happens under there because I can't get my arm all the way under to follow the hose. But anyway, it seems much longer than it needs to be.

Does this hose "Y" off to anything else? Does anyone know why it snakes around under the bathroom floor?

Thanks,
Brendan
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: Shower sump pump hose

Post by thinwater »

Or the hose has delaminated and collapsed inside only when pulling. That can cause that behavior. So can a blockage that shifts.

Can you try reversing the flow to see if there is a leak? If there is a blockage it might blow out. That might be my next try, as it is simple.

No fun.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Brendan,
Mine might be different since I have an early hull, but I can remove the recessed shower pan with a series of screws around the perimeter. Once in, I have access to replace that hose, pretty easy. My issue was where the hose connected to the barb coming off the recessed pan. Only issue is that you have to re-seal the pan when you reinstall. Is yours the same?

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

Thanks guys,
What a job!
Unfortunately,Sam, my boat does not have a removable shower pan. I tried blowing out the hoses with a garden hose and they both had no clogs. So that left me with no choice but to replace both hoses, since I figured air was getting sucked in somewhere. The hose coming off the drain itself is a nightmare to access. Barely enough room to get a hand down there. I was able to cut the hose and remove it, then remove the L shaped barb from the drain. The old hose from the drain was much longer than it needed to be. It snaked around under the bathroom floor for no reason that I could tell.

I then removed the drain and rebedded it with 5200. Then I attached new hose to the barb, then attached the pump.

I haven't run it yet, since I'm waiting for the 5200 to dry. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,
Brendan
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL