Structural or not?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
GaryWizard
1st mate
1st mate

Structural or not?

Post by GaryWizard »

I have a 1995 LRC (#47) and want to install a new / larger watermaker. The boat came with a PUR-35 that sat under the seat across from the nav station. The problem I have is trying to access that space for the new installation (a Spectra V200 / 10 gph unit). I had thought to cut an access panel under the seat to open up that area (& then add wood strips around the hole to support the piece cut out). As I started on this project I found that there is a fiberglass panel about an inch below the wood. I certainly could cut that out in a similar manner but worry that the hole may affect some structural integrity.

So...does anyone know if this fiberglass housing (where I believe there's normally a second water tank) is structural or can I open it up without adversely affecting the boat?

Thanks!

Gary
s/v Inspiration
PDQ 36 LRC #47
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Re: Structural or not?

Post by chicagocat »

Yes, the space below the nav station seat is easily opened up. I'm surprised yours didn't have a door on it. On the Anne Z, that space had a removable door made of starboard. Recently, I had to slightly enlarge the opening to get out the old water heater for replacement. As a result, the starboard door no longer fit. I discovered these doors from Ikea that matched the upholstery and velcro'd them in place. That way, I can access the space if the water heater needs service, etc.

Here's a pic:
PDQ ikea doors.jpg
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
GaryWizard
1st mate
1st mate

Post by GaryWizard »

My boat does have a starboard door that opens into the boat. What I'd like to do is also create an opening on the top of that space (under the seat cushion) in order to more easily install a new watermaker. That space has what almost appears to be a fiberglass enclosure so that under the wood portion of the settee is an underlying fiberglass panel.

It would not be difficult to cut out a section (2' x 1') of the wood & then the fiberglass to create an access opening but I'm concerned that by cutting out a section of the fiberglass that I might be weakening something.

I'm trying to install a small (8 gph) Spectra watermaker. Trying to position the various modules is more of a headache than I had originally anticipated. :D

Gary
s/v Inspiration
PDQ 36 LRC #47
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

Ah....I see. I think you could probably come in through the top if you had to. But then you have to make sure that the seat is somehow reinforced...
Are you sure you can't do the install from the side? I know that the water maker installs can be a pain. I don't think there's a structural issue, though.
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
GaryWizard
1st mate
1st mate

Post by GaryWizard »

I could conceivably do the entire install from the front but with the larger (Clark Pump) unit it would be extremely difficult to get everything mounted correctly. It looks like I can use 1'x2" strips around the opening to provide support for the wood piece I'm cutting out so you can still sit at the nav station.

After getting the old PUR out, I was able to get a better look at it & it does look like just a shell to support the wood for the seat & the cabinets on either side. I just approach cutting holes anywhere in the boat with a bit of trepidation. I am looking forward to being able to make more than 1 gal/hr once this install is complete.

Gary
s/v Inspiration
PDQ 36 LRC #47