Water tank baffles

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Smj
1st mate
1st mate

Water tank baffles

Post by Smj »

We have what I believe is the standard 1993 50 gallon water tank mounted under the forward seat on the settee. In a half decent chop the water in the tank sloshes and bangs around, obviously not a baffled tank. This can get quite disturbing while trying to sleep with the noise situated at the head of the berth! I researched using wiffle balls as baffles, but found out it would take almost 600 balls to baffle a 50 gallon tank. One to few and maybe now you have a wiffle ball slapping the side of the tank. Anybody else have the same problem, and has anybody come up with a solution? Thanks.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: Water tank baffles

Post by thinwater »

Interesting. We have a lot of slosh too, but fortunately on the 32 (aft cabins) sleeping is not at issue. I've built tanks before, always baffled, of course. I too would like an answer for a PE tank.

A few thoughts though:
* Winterizing. With ball in the tank it would not be possible to pump the tank MT.
* Biological growth support. Plenty of area for bugs to grow, much or it kept continuously dampened by slosh. Adding a high-area fill like this is how bacteria are fixed in place for culturing.
* Cleaning. The balls are a non-starter. Even conventional baffles must be carefully considered so that they do not block cleaning access in fresh water tanks. Normally partial baffles in the top 1/2 are a reasonable compromise. Multiple tanks (deep rather than flat) are also a good answer.
* Chafe. Unless VERY well secured, chafe can be an issue. Future leaks.

I fear the only answer is to avoid the dreaded 3/4 full condition; either full or below 5/8, the problem vanishes.

The Achilles heel of PE tanks.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Smj
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Water tank baffles

Post by Smj »

Thanks Thinwater, a lot of good info. And yes we are at the dreaded 3/4 full mark:-(