A/c

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Obhoy
1st mate
1st mate

A/c

Post by Obhoy »

Any info on a/c unit that will start and run off of a 2000 Honda gen
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Re: A/c

Post by Lady of the Lake »

I installed an Ocean Breeze unit 10 years ago and have been very happy with it.

http://www.oceanbreezeac.com/sc6k-18k.php

I installed the 16K BTU unit and it will run on a Honda EU2000 IF you keep the coils clean. The issue is at start up. The inrush current is very close to the max the EU2000 can handle. If you want to play is safe, install the 12K BTU unit and you should not have any issues. One note, the electric heat will not run on the EU2000 (but will on shore power) so if you want heat, buy a unit that uses a heat pump instead of the electric coils.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Obhoy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Obhoy »

Thanks Sam will 12000 buts cool a 36 also are ther air vents in the state rooms thank you,I have a 36 under contract with sea trial and survey Monday and I'm trying to get things ready.where are the ocean breases available at.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

The 12K seems a bit light, my 16K fights to keep up in Florida, I guess it is where you will sail. But better to have a 12K that works than a 16K that is marginal, maybe, your call. Talk to the AC guy and see what he thinks.

There were no vents in the boat, I had to cut my own access holes and run all of the duct work. Also have to run all of the water lines to cool the unit and drain the unit. You will need a new through hull below the waterline to bring in cooling water. Don't be lazy and try to scavenge off of an existing through hull, this one should be dedicated for several reasons including keeping a vacuum. The drain will be above the waterline, I put mine under the bridge deck.

Ocean Breeze is in Stuart, FL. I went in person and they made me a very nice deal on the unit with all of the installation hardware and digital thermostat. I am a very satisfied customer. But from what I have seen, almost all of the units in that size basically use the same components so you should be okay with any good name unit.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Check out the Dometic SmartStart. This is a device that helps reduce the surge of A/C startup. After the initial surge, the Honda 2000 can easily handle the A/C.
Marc
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

I got the ocean breeze 20k unit and the Honda will just barely start it if I turn off Eco mode before I try. If I put two Hondas paired together then it runs easily along with a charger.

The only issue I have is the controller. After seven years the buttons aren't quite working anymore. I may swap it out with a standard home controller from Lowes.
Obhoy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Obhoy »

That's amazing do you have the smart start.do you have the20000 on a 36 pdq.i thought about 2 2000 Hondas but what kind of damage happens when one stops while the other keeps running and then you only have 110,or is the 20000 a 115 unit
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

The voltage stays the same with one or both units on; it just shares the current. The honda is an inverter generator; you start one first then the other will sync with the first one as it's started up. If one gen dies while the ac is running - no problem the other takes the load. If the ac tries to start with only one gen it can just barely do so and the gen is very loud at that point.

The reality is you don't need the AC at anchor. We only use it when tied up to a dock. At anchor, there's usually enough breeze that you stay comfortable without all the noise. Cold beer helps too :)
Obhoy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Obhoy »

Thanks for the input,but in the keys it's to hot for me in summer.