New Rudder Quadrant

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

New Rudder Quadrant

Post by Lady of the Lake »

We have some corrosion where the steering cables attach to the rudder quadrant base. Anyone repaired or replaced their quadrant/base or know where to purchase a replacement?

Thanks,
Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
lauraj
1st mate
1st mate

Re: New Rudder Quadrant

Post by lauraj »

We had ours made at https://edsonmarine.com/products/sailbo ... ve-wheels/

Note: not 100% thrilled. they goofed the measurement by a small number and we had to cut the openings for the steering bar so that it could move the complete distance. the also made the ears that hold them keeper pins on the corners too small. they corroded away in a couple years and the cable jumped out and jammed. when you deal with them, you have to extremely specific
martincreek150
1st mate
1st mate

Post by martincreek150 »

Not quite sure which part the "steering quadrant base" is? Do you mean the actual steering quadrant (aluminum arch bolted directly to rudder post) or the tangential steering unit that turns and redirects the steering cables to the steering quadrant (aluminum rectangle bolted directly to the boat)? In any case, our boat has an all Lewmar steering system (definitely NOT Edson for Nalani). I bought a new tangential steering unit two years ago, but reconditioned the old one (somewhat corroded), and kept the new one in reserve. I also studied the Lewmar quadrants and I suspect Lewmar still makes/sells the steering quadrant for my boat. Get the steering section of the Lewmar catalog and see if those parts don't match what you have on your boat. The terminologies used by Lewmar were pretty opaque, but the photos, drawings, images and specifications should allow you to figure it out.
Dempster and Carole Wheeler
Nalani 36043
martincreek150
1st mate
1st mate

Post by martincreek150 »

To ease your search, the steering system on Nalani is called the Lewmar Constellation system.

The tangential terminal unit that I needed/ordered is 89100111. The catalog shows ten 80 degree, constellation steering quadrants. If you have a Lewmar system, I'l bet one of those ten quadrants matches your quadrant.

Happy hunting.
Dempster and Carole Wheeler
Nalani 36043