Rigging tension numbers for a PDQ 36?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
martincreek150
1st mate
1st mate

Rigging tension numbers for a PDQ 36?

Post by martincreek150 »

Question 01 - I've read and reread PDQ's "deflect the wires" recipe for rig tuning. My first impression is that this would make for a pretty slack rig. My second impression is that I can't imagine doing this with sufficient accuracy. Does anyone have some tension/load numbers that they could share with the group along with how their numbers were derived?

Question 02 - When you sail your PDQ 36 in a blow, are the leeward shrouds "loose"?

Please share anything else you've got on rig tension.
Dempster and Carole Wheeler
Nalani 36043
James Power
admiral
admiral

Re: Rigging tension numbers for a PDQ 36?

Post by James Power »

Standing rigging is usually tensioned between 8 and 15 percent of breaking strenght. Higher tension on the forestay and caps, less on the lowers and diamonds. A Loos gauge is a handy tool to have. It gives acurate readings of tension and breaking strength percentage.
The leeward cap shrouds should still have some tension on them when sailing on the wind. A loose rig can cause huge shock loading to the rig and fittings.

James
martincreek150
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Rigging tension numbers for a PDQ 36?

Post by martincreek150 »

I have the standard references and have done considerable Internet research. I also have the Loos Professional gauge, the only Loos gauge adequate to "measure" PDQ-sized rigging. For 5/16" cable, the difference between 8% and 15% is the whopping difference between 1000 lb/in sq and 1875 lb/in sq.

There are somewhat detailed rig tension suggestions for "generic" monohulls in the references. But no similar suggestions for catamarans. Since the shroud bases on catamarans are wider than those of monohulls, and since the hulls distribute the loads of the head stay and aft stays very differently from monohulls, it might make sense that rig tension should be set slightly less on a catamaran hull?

I begin to wonder whether any other owners have ever given it much thought (worried about it), since my searches of the this forum have been unproductive.

I'd still like to hear from some other PDQ owners as to what tensions they have set on their rigs?
Dempster and Carole Wheeler
Nalani 36043