PDQ 36 Steering quadrant repair question

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
D&D
deckhand
deckhand

PDQ 36 Steering quadrant repair question

Post by D&D »

Hi all - I have a PDQ36 hull # 33 and the nuts on the Port side steering quadrant in the aft compartment has completely deteriorated after a year of me being off the boat while it has been in Guatemala.

I have attempted to attached a 3 photos of the Port side system - from the top, the side and from underneath. I hope they will show up.

It looks to me like I need to replace the nut on the top and that there is another nut sandwiched in between two pieces of the arm and it appears that nut seems to be fine and I should just clean it up with a brush, from what I can see from the photo. I am guessing that at some point a previous owner of this boat used non stainless nuts on the top of these arms and that's why they are rusted out and I think (hope) that the sandwiched nut is stainless.

The top nut is almost completely disintegrated but it seems it is a 1 inch outside diameter nut.

The Starboard quadrant nuts are also rusted out. They appear to have a nut on the top and bottom of the arm and I believe they are the same size nuts as on the Port side and in that case I need to replace both, top and bottom.

Thought I would reach out to see if anyone has any insight here before I do that. It seems I should just be able to remove the nuts and replace them without a hitch but most times something straight forward turns into something larger if I don't ask a question first... If you have any thoughts or insights to share, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks for your time and help, in advance. I see from the PDQ manual I need to be doing some regular maintenance to this system so I will also get on that right away.

Doug
Attachments
Starboard steering arm rusted nut - from the top.jpg
Starboard steering arm - side view.jpg
Starboard steering arm - view from underneath.jpg
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Re: PDQ 36 Steering quadrant repair question

Post by Ed Ellis »

I'd first try to remove the nuts by letting them by covering them tightly with rags and then soaking the rings with penetrating oil. I'd add penetrating oil a couple of times at one-two day intervals. Ig the nuts won't budge, I'd try heating them with a torch. If they still won't budge, I'd use a grinder to remove them.

By the way, it's possible that the previous owner used stainless nuts & bolts made in China -- the RUST big time. Look for stainless 316 (made in U.S.) to replace them. If not available in Guatemala, use the China-made versions, and them swap them out when you get back to the U.S.

I'm guess you're on the Rio Dulce. We've spent quite a bit of time there. Are you headed to the Bay Islands next?
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
D&D
deckhand
deckhand

Re: PDQ 36 Steering quadrant repair question

Post by D&D »

hey Ed - thanks for this info. yes soaking a rag in penetrating fluid every day worked out great. came off with a wrench after a lot of pleading...

in Rio Dulce- will be going through Belize to the Bay Islands again this year, but doing a few projects here before heading out. I'll have a few more questions on some other things before I'm done.... very appreciative of this forum.

best,

doug