Inspecting fuel tank

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Old PDQ Message Board
Site Admin

Inspecting fuel tank

Post by Old PDQ Message Board »

Inspecting fuel tank

Posted by Ed Ellis on April 11, 2004 at 18:09:00:

Can someone advise me about how to remove the cabin sole of the 36 so I can inspect the fuel tank? Does it just lift out or

does something need to be detached?
Thanks, Ed

Re: Inspecting fuel tank

Posted by Chet White on April 13, 2004 at 19:30:00:

In Reply to: Inspecting fuel tank posted by Ed Ellis on April 11, 2004 at 18:09:00:

Hi Ed,
On Allezcat, 36010, the cockpit floor just sits on it perimeter flange so it just lifts out. Having said that, I would

recommend an extra person to help maneuver it out of the cockpit as it is quite heavy and awkward. Before doing this, check

around the cockpit sidewalls for protusions such as winch handle holders, fragile speaker covers, or engine raising cleats

that need to be removed.

After removal, you will see a grungy aluminum tank surrounded by more grunge. After cleaning this mess, I removed the fuel

gauge sending wires, engine supply tubes, fuel vent hose, and fuel fill hose. Next I removed the screws holding the tank to

four rotted wooden shims and removed the tank (which was almost empty). It had been mounted too close to the underside deck

with inadequate drainage to the sea so that the underside of the tank was badly pitted. When probing the pits my probe easily

went right through one of them. I had a new larger tank fabricated of .125 Al rather than the .090 Al, coated the tank with

hi-build epoxy paint, and mounted the new tank flanges on plastic shims higher off the deck. I also added new sea drains with

underside scuppers. The higher tank required shimming the cockpit floor with 3/4" X 1 1/4" plastic which I obtained at Home

Depot. I used a foam tape for bedding pickup toppers to cushion it also. Finally I added new USCG approved fuel hoses, made

several supports for the vent hose so it slopes upward to the vent (using 5200 to glue the plastic supports in place) and

glued 5/8" water tubing to protect the fuel lines at tank edges and thru bulkheads to prevent chafe.

So far the system works great!

Posted by - on April 11, 2004 at 18:20:00:

In Reply to: Inspecting fuel tank posted by Ed Ellis on April 11, 2004 at 18:09:00:

Just lift it from the starboard side. It should lift easily. It's not that heavey at all really.

I use a boat hook to prop it up while working under the floor.

Posted by Sandy Daugherty; 'Page 83' #36026 on April 12, 2004 at 08:54:00:

In Reply to: Re: Inspecting fuel tank posted by - on April 11, 2004 at 18:20:00:

My cockpit deck has a ss 'screen door' handle attached near the middle of the forward face. I raise the deck with the main

halyard through a snatch block on the boom. That's only possible because my bimini top folds forward easily. Once the deck is

half way up it's easy to handle, but don't do it alone.