Nova Cool

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Oceania
deckhand
deckhand

Nova Cool

Post by Oceania »

Has anyone modified their old Nova Cool unit to accept R-134 refrigerant?
Due to a leak it is time to modify the unit on Oceania.

Roger Pollard
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Nova-Kool

Post by Allezcat »

I also have a very small leak somewhere in the Nova-kool unit on Allezcat. (It finally quit in the Bahamas after 12 years). I had it recharged in Nassau (R12) , but they overcharged it so the compressor refused to start even though the fan would start. After bleeding several small bursts from the Schroeder valve, it seems to be working again. I did buy a couple of cans of R12 in Nassau to recharge it if necessary, but may consider a change to R134 also, if that can be done. Perhaps we could send a message to Nova-Kool with that question although they probably would recommend buying a whole new unit (profit motivated!). I would think the refrigerant oil would need to be changed also.
Oceania
deckhand
deckhand

Nova Kool

Post by Oceania »

Napa Auto parts sells a conversion kit to convert auto air conditioning units from R12 to R134a. The kit contains an oil charge that actually modifies the mineral oil lubricant that was used in R 12 compressors. The kit also contains new valves that convert the original charge valve to the new style and 3 cans of R134a.

The instructions state that the oil doesn't have to be changed if you use the oil charge with the modifiers.

Roger
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

R12 Conversion

Post by SecondWind »

I changed my Mecedes A/C unit from R12 to R134. It is not as efficient as a coolant, and also requires a different espansion valve. I would not change over on my refrigeration system onboard, which is already marginal in hot weater. I strongly suspect that the unit would run all of the time, drawing more electric current, and would not provide effective cooling.