Honda 2000 generator

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Gone sailing

Honda 2000 generator

Post by Gone sailing »

Where do folks store their Honda 2000's on a 36 (especially an older one).
If in a locker, do you remove it to use it or can it be run in a locker?

Thank you
next exit
skipper
skipper

Post by next exit »

I keep mine in the starboard seat locker. It must be removed to run it. When I'm cruising it sits out all of the time either in the stbd quarter or in the cockpit until I'm to make a passage.

Don
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I store mine in the aft seat locker.. either port or starboard. It must be removed for use. You can purchase or make a cover if you wish to leave it out but I put it back in the locker when not in use. I also decided to have another one for backup in case the primary one fails. It is less expensive than more solar panels or a wind generator ($885 with free shipping and no tax.. call 1-800-916-9473...Wise Sales). With the outboards there is no backup if the generator fails. Set your Heart Interface to 15 amps power share and plug it in to your shorepower inlet. It puts 225 amps back into the batteries in 4 hours. I do this about every 2 days when cruising.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
admiral
admiral

Honda Generator

Post by 36041 »

Not to be the dissenting voice, but:

We have been 3 year live-aboards, and 4 month(now, and growing every day) cruisers and pound for pound, dollar for dollar, get more solar cells and go with the honda 1000.

We have been out 15 weeks now, on the Bay, heading South, and between 250W solar and a KISS wind generator we have had to run the Honda 1000 9 hours. The three days we have used it were rainy, no wind days after several cloudy or windless days.

IMHO, if you have planned accordingly and sized appropriately, you can get by - even on the Chesapeake where sun and wind aren't reliable with a smaller Honda and a good alternative energy plan.

The Honda is great for a back up, but relying on it as a primary means isn't necessary unless you have major, major electrical consumption going on. We are using between 60 - 85 AH per day and are recovering this on 97% of our days out so far. I have to believe this will only get better as we get further south and closer to more reliable sun/wind.

If your interested, contact me directly and I can pass along more detailed info. We track our energy consumption/production on an hour by hour basis cross referenced with wind speed and solar output and I'd be happy to pass along the data.

Good luck.

Tom
next exit
skipper
skipper

Post by next exit »

Which just goes to show that we are all different and depends where you are cruising.
I use twice as much power as 36041, especially sitting in one spot for 2-3 weeks in the warm waters of the Bahamas. I also run a separate freezer which is a bit of a hog.
For the $ difference between the 1000 and the 2000, I would definitely go with the larger.

Don Wilson
next exit
skipper
skipper

Post by next exit »

Which just goes to show that we are all different and depends where you are cruising.
I use twice as much power as 36041, especially sitting in one spot for 2-3 weeks in the warm waters of the Bahamas. I also run a separate freezer which is a bit of a hog.
For the $ difference between the 1000 and the 2000, I would definitely go with the larger.

Don Wilson