Hardtop purchase from PDQ

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Hardtop purchase from PDQ

Post by Ed Ellis »

Has anyone purchased from PDQ a hardtop and retrofitted it on your Capella? If so, how much did it cost? Thanks, Ed
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Us Too

Post by SecondWind »

We're interested also for Second Wind.
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Hi Folks. I have an older (36021) boat. I inquired about a hardtop last spring, and was told that the new hardtops are not compatable to the older boats, and they could not make the older style.
I had a welded aluminum frame and legs built, then insalled a stamoid
top over it. Not quite as good as a hardtop,but a lot less money. So far, I'm very happy with it.
Marc
Lee Henderson

Hardtop for PDQ-36

Post by Lee Henderson »

:D I installed a hardtop from PDQ on Brigadoon several years ago when the PDQ 32 first came out so I do not beleave the price is relavent. Your problem may be that the hardtop you are talking about is really the hardtop for the PDQ 32. This is what was supplied to me from PDQ. The problem now is the PDQ 32 is not in production any more. PDQ may still have the mold though and may be able to make you one. You need to talk to Simon Slater at PDQ.
admiral
admiral

My Opinion

Post by 36041 »

All,

Just my two cents worth.....

We've been living aboard for 5 years and cruising for almost a year and I wouldn't want a hard top.

In my humble opinion, the most important thing you can do with one of these girl's is keep her light. I've shared a mooring ball with two different hardtop PDQ 36's and in both cases, our's sits a full three inches higher out of the water than theirs.

With a well constructed canvas(sunbrella ?) bimini and dodger, there is very little to gain from the hard top. I think it's much better to consider a full or semi arch incorporated into the psuedo davits that most of our 36's have to hold your solar panels, etc.

I built one on a trial run out of automotive exhaust for $40 U.S. and it has lasted over a year. I am going to remake it now in stainless for less than $200. We house 350 watts of solar panels as well as as an auxilary anchor light and a fishing down rigger on the same unit and we have had no problems to date. This includes a 10 hour run at over a 10 knot average where we hit over 16 knots several times!

So, in a long about way, I guess I'm just saying unless you have an over whelming need, there isn't really a reason why you have to have the hard top.

Goodluck, good wind.

Tom
Dream Catcher