Hatch Ventilators

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Passage Back
deckhand
deckhand

Hatch Ventilators

Post by Passage Back »

I have asked PDQ quote a price for supplying and installing the Nicro day/night solar fans on the hatches of our new PDQ. They counter with a little history on this topic. At one time, PDQ did offer them as an option. However, they say there were constant issues with leakage. Does the POA have any info on this topic?
Dan White
admiral
admiral

hatch ventilators

Post by Dan White »

I ordered one with my boat. Have had no leaks. Wish I had gotten more, at least one for intake and 2 more for exhausting "greenhouse effect" hot air when the boat is sitting unattended on hot sunny days.

Nicro has a good brochure on where to place them and installation does not look difficult so I made add some myself, assuming I ever find the time.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

I have two I am preparing to install in a week or two. I will tell you how it goes. The only thing that scares me is cutting through my hatch lenses with a hole saw. They are already crazed and I am worried about shattering them. I'll try the exhaust over the head first in case I make a mess. Any thoughts or hints?
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Aquila 32/31
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Aquila 32/31 »

[quote="Lady of the Lake"]......................The only thing that scares me is cutting through my hatch lenses with a hole saw. They are already crazed and I am worried about shattering them.............................quote]

Cover both sides of the lense with something like a sticky backed shelf liner, or use 2" masking tape as a last resort. The thicker the material the better, as you need to minimise any vibration. Also, use a hole saw with the finest (maximum number) teeth available to you.
Dan White
admiral
admiral

installing ventilator in hatch

Post by Dan White »

[quote="Lady of the Lake"]......................The only thing that scares me is cutting through my hatch lenses with a hole saw. They are already crazed and I am worried about shattering

In the instruction manual they recommend: "....use of a variable speed drill. Cutting the hole at a lower RPM will ensure that the hole is not cut too quickly, which can melt the plastic on the hatch. A slow, steady speed is preferred. Be sure to stop and clean out the hole and the hole saw periodically." They also ascribe to the use of masking tape.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

I want the exhaust fan on the hatch in the head. Will I have a problem with leaking since that hatch is on an incline?
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Exhaust fan

Post by Dan White »

I want the exhaust fan on the hatch in the head. Will I have a problem with leaking since that hatch is on an incline?

That is where I have seen most of them installed. Mine is there and I have had no problems
Half Moon 36073
deckhand
deckhand

HATCH VENTILATORS

Post by Half Moon 36073 »

We have twin heads on Half Moon, both of which have ventilators and cracked plexiglass. Prior to the cracking, there was no leak. After stepping "through" the 1/4" glass on the port aft engine hatch, I ordered the thicker 3/8" from the hatch manufacturer. Since I need to replace the cracked hatches, I will again call the manufacturer, order the thicker material and ask them if they can cut the hole for me. Good Luck. Alex Kehayes 36073.
TomKat
deckhand
deckhand

installing vents

Post by TomKat »

I know this is an old topic but if anyone calls it up here's what I did. I installed two vents in the aft cabin overhead hatches (port and starboard). To cut the holes, I used a Roto-zip tool. First time I had ever used one. Holes came out great and have had no leakage. The Roto-zip tool does creat quite a mess so cover everything and be prepared to vacuum.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Mine have been done for a couple of months now. Input on the forward port hatch, exhaust in the head. No leaks. I am very happy with the outcome. By the way, I used a hole saw and went slowly. No problems at all.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL