Air Conditioning Thru Hull

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

OK, finally ready to have her hauled and pop in the thru hull for the new A/C. Any recommendations of the best place to put the thru hull? I would like to do it in the starboard hull under the removable floor boards either in front of the nav station or even forward in the floor of the forward starboard berth. Any reasons not to go with one of these locations? It was recommended that I place it in the forward locker but that would be a nasty job to clean the filter (which seems to be a weekly event around here).

Thanks,
Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Half Moon 36073
deckhand
deckhand

AC thru hull

Post by Half Moon 36073 »

Our thru hull is in the fwd locker on the stb side. The original filter was a fairly fine screen affair, below the waterline and a pain to clean. I installed a Vetus filter with a screw-off top with large basket. This is mounted on the bulkhead in the hanging locker. I had to cut a notch in the cover board in the closet floor, but the filter is now at near waterline level so that I don't have to close a thru-hull to clean the filter. The basket is almost submerged. It is not a fine filter, but the AC seems to be working well for two years now. Alex Kehayes. 36073
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

[quote]Any recommendations of the best place to put the thru hull? I would like to do it in the starboard hull under the removable floor boards either in front of the nav station or even forward in the floor of the forward starboard berth. Any reasons not to go with one of these locations? It was recommended that I place it in the forward locker but that would be a nasty job to clean the filter (which seems to be a weekly event around here).

Ours is in the starboard bilge, just aft of the forward hanging locker. You access it through the floorboards and it seems fine there. It is aft of the speedo thru hull which is very hard to get to as it is directly under the hanging locker.
Page 83
admiral
admiral

A/C thru hull

Post by Page 83 »

Mine is in the starboard forward locker, too. The keels start just a little aft of that. I'm thinking of making the shelves in that locker removeable to make it easier to get down there. I would like to use clevis pins to remoe the center vertical post. If I figure it out, I'll post some pictures.
Thought: The water inlet may not have to be exactly on centerline, if its in a deeper section of the hull.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026