Baby stay tearing loose

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Tex Hill
deckhand
deckhand

Chain plate for baby stay (inner stay)

Post by Tex Hill »

Ed and Linda,

Thanks for the reply. I imagine you are probably right, but I hope not. lol
As soon as I have recovered from my surgery enough to crawl around on my stomach I will peel away more fabric and see.

Our boat had major repairs, by PDQ, to one hull that appears to have included the berth area. I am hoping that it includes the bulkhead. Otherwise I have a lot of work to do.
I will let you know about the bulkhead once I get to it. We are hull # 34.

Regards,
Tex and Gloria
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Babystay bulkhead repair .pdf file now available on the http://www.pdq36.com website.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Re: Baby stay tearing loose

Post by chicagocat »

Well, it looks as if I may have this problem as well. I noticed that there was water in the starboard cabin bed today, after some heavy rains over the weekend. Also, on a return trip from Michigan last week I was pretty worried. Beating upwind toward apparent wind of 40 degrees in 2-4 foot chop on Lake Michigan there was no way to lay on the bed without getting thrown in the air. A lot of motion from underneath when it slammed.

My question: if I do this chainplate replacement that Ed describes, do you guys think it can be done at the dock with the mast up?
I figure that it can, since the forestay should be plenty to hold up the mast when there is no strain on it.

what do you guys think?

Brendan
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Absolutely, no issue. I did mine in the slip with the mast up. As I understand it, the baby stay is to control the center of the mast and minimize mast pumping, it is not there to hold the mast up. Simon may want to add info here.

What I would be more concerned with is the inability to lay on the forward berth while underway in rough seas. You should have some wave slap but nothing that would cause the violent movement that you say keeps you from laying in the bed, that sounds like way too much flex to me. In fact, sounds like what Bob (Peace) encountered before his first 36 ran into issues in the Gulf of Mexico. Bob, wanna add anything here?

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey guys, I was involved in the repair of a 36 with bridgedeck issues. I also have a 36 babystay chainplate looking for a good home. If I can be of help, let me know. James