Prospective buyer of MV 34

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
deising
admiral
admiral

Prospective buyer of MV 34

Post by deising »

Hi, all. I just joined the forum and thought an introduction might be in order. First, my thanks go out to those keeping this BB alive. I have done a lot of volunteer work like that over the years and I appreciate others doing it.

We currently have a Catalina 36 sailboat I am readying for sale and are really interested in the MV34. Even though I was (and still am) working, I was able to take a number of sabbatical cruises and we have almost 10K miles over 10 years on our boat, based in Punta Gorda, FL. While we love sailing, the type of cruising we do rarely lets us sail. Part of the problem is us; we like to weigh anchor early and be at our destination early. We could wait for wind sometimes, but we really don't like getting in late in the day.

Anyway, I am retiring at the end of the year and we are ready for a different chapter in our cruising life. The MV34 seems like an almost perfect boat (there are no perfect boats) for what we want to do. One of our next big adventures will likely be the Great Loop, starting in 2016.

If any owners of an MV34 are looking to sell and move on to other adventures, please email me.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: Prospective buyer of MV 34

Post by SecondWind »

Duane,

Take a look at my Facebook PDQ page: http://www.facebook.com/sailgreen?ref=p ... 679&ref=mf
Sam Denslers PDQ page (also lives in PGI): http://pdq36.com/
and member Dick Tuschick on this Forum, who sells PDQ's in Stuart, FL
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Thanks, Terry. I had already seen all the great info on both the PDQ Yacht and Rhumbline Yacht sites. Sam has quite a collection of good links, too.

I don't have a FB account and I don't think your link worked in any event.

One thing I have been getting more and more curious about is why PDQ went "under" so to speak, and why Pearson Composites hasn't done anything since then, for what I can tell. Any info on that would be appreciated to sate my curiosity.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

PDQ went under when the Canadian dollar and US dollar reversed value. They relied on low Canadian costs and High US dollar sales. I believe Pearson is finding the cost of building to be non-competitive at this time. RE: Facebook, The link will not work without a Facebook account.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
jgonnerman
skipper
skipper

Post by jgonnerman »

I would add that the list boat of builders that failed after the 2008 crash is very long. If one researches the current owners of companies still in operation using the same brand name they are new owners that bought brand name and tooling . HInckley, Luhrs, Navigator, etc.

Also check the prices on new build boats. Recently visited the Lido boat show in Newport CA and saw nothing new or brokerage that I would exchange my boat for. MJM's are really cool but one needs to be a .25% to write that check.

Used PDQ's are a bargain.
John Gonnerman
San Diego Ca
"Westend Express"
2002 34 Hull 20
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Thanks, jgonnerman.

I don't doubt the well cared for PDQ 34 is a great boat. I will email Sam D to find out why I am not getting an email when someone replies to my post. sorry I missed this.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Katlin »

Here is a link to an 2012 article describing the demise of Pearson. I had visited the (now former) Pearson factory when there were finishing up their run of 40 footers for the USCG and saw the recently arrived PDQ molds which had been cut down and shipped to Rhode Island. They were in a corner of the shed, untouched. I believe Pearson was in extreme financial condition when the molds arrived from Toronto and building future PDQs never became possible. I never heard what USWatercraft did with the PDQ molds but I suspect they were scrapped.

John Sawyer
Katlin MV34 '05

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/2012/12/u ... at-brands/
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Thanks, John. I am sure I will find that interesting.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Well, our sailboat is still on the market and we decided there is no reason to wait for that sale to occur before buying our MV34 and starting our next big cruise.

We plan to leave FL in Apr and go up the east coast to the Erie/Oswego canal, then up the Rideau Waterway to Ottawa, then down to the St. Lawrence at Montreal, then out and through New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, and then back along Maine and the rest of New England. We'll winter the boat in NY state near Lake Ontario and then resume in the late spring to complete the Great Loop portion through the Trent-Severn waterway, Georgian Bay, North Channel, Lake Michigan, Chicago, down the river system to Mobile, and finally along the Gulf back to FL.

It looks like there a half dozen good boats for sale right now in FL, and other than the lofty price tags they sport, we are looking forward to the process in the next few months.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

I am not superstitious, so I will report that we are now under contract with our sailboat for sale.

We have an appointment to look at some MV34s in a week or so. Our local friends let us comb through their boat this weekend in more detail than ever before and I remain impressed.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Well, the sale of our current sailboat fell through even before the survey, but the good news is we have bought a PDQ MV34. She is hull 91, a 2006 model, and we go to survey next week. Looking forward to being part of the PDQ family.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Great news! The survey and sea trails identified only a few minor issues that will be addressed before we take possession. We'll bring the boat back from Stuart, FL in early Jan and then drive over to the Rendezvous at Rhumbline Yachts. The buying experience with them has been fantastic so far.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

After reading John Watts' post about buying Bermuda Shorts, I guess I should make the official announcement that we concluded the purchase of the former Valentino and now have 'Diva Di' at our home dock on the west coast of FL. People buying through Rhumbline Yacht Sales have a real advantage with the PDQ U that they offer to give new owner a very thorough orientation on all the boat's systems, handling, and owner maintenance items. Dick Tuschick spent almost 1.5 days with us and it was terrific. It was the first time I actually got to run the boat and it is sweet.

I am not sure how this did not show up in the sea trials or our underway instruction, but after 1 day of running the boat toward home, Diane noticed a strong smell of diesel from the port engine. Sure enough, 2 of the injectors were weeping fuel. The fix was not obvious, nor did I have a good tool set onboard, so I simply decided to see how well I could run the boat with just the starboard engine for the remaining 3 days. Even negotiating 3 more locks, 3 nights of anchoring, a fuel dock and our home dock, I was amazed at how well she handled.

Back home, I finally determined that the yokes (don't know the proper term) holding the injectors into the cylinder head were loose enough that two injectors were not properly seated. I tightened those to spec and the leak is gone as far as I could tell. Today we take the boat out with guests and I will check under full load.

Beside that, there are numerous minor things needing attention, but I recently retired and have the time to get them all done. We really love the boat so far and are looking forward to shoving off in Apr for the first half of the Great Loop, interrupted by the first 7/8 of the Down East Circle. We'll winter the boat in MA, then finish the whole trip in 2016.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Welcome to the family. Since she will be in PG, we would love to see her.

Sam and Gina
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Sure thing, Sam. Give me a few more weeks for my projects that will have the boat "torn up" and then you can swing by. It will be great to meet you.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL