Transmission Maintenance Schedule

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Expatriate
skipper
skipper

Re: Transmission Maintenance Schedule

Postby Expatriate » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Darn it! I posted too soon. It is the neutral safety switch. Duh! Sorry everyone.

Tim

Expatriate
skipper
skipper

Postby Expatriate » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:26 pm

All,

I found a repair manual online for the ZF-25 transmission. Too big to load here, but I will email on request.

Tim

Expatriate
skipper
skipper

Postby Expatriate » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:48 pm

Odd. What I thought I had posted on Tuesday did not show up. I was asking what the two wires on the back of the transmission were for. Turns out it is the neutral safety switch.

Tim
M/V 068

James Power
admiral
admiral

Postby James Power » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:19 pm

The 2 wires run to the tranny are for the neutral safety switch.

On a side note, if the switch fails and you cant start the engine, connecting the two wires will bypass the switch in a pinch. If doing so, take care to not start in gear, and have the switch replaced asap.

James

Expatriate
skipper
skipper

Postby Expatriate » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:53 am

Thanks James. Here's the irony. A week ago the engine started right up. After crawling all over the engine, replacing the water heater, seawater impeller, and alternator, the engine will not start. The behavior is the same as if it were in gear. I ordered a neutral safety switch last night. I probably broke a wire by stepping on it. It is an easy fix, but it will be nice to have a spare switch.

Tim
M/V 068, Expatriate

Expatriate
skipper
skipper

Postby Expatriate » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:30 am

Yep, it was a broken wire on the neutral safety switch. I spliced them together and the engine started right up. I wonder what else I did. The new alternator is putting out power, but the tachometer is dead. Is there a tachometer sensor on the flywheel like some of the older engines or does the tachometer get its input from the alternator?

Tim
M/V 068, Expatriate

Cat Daddy
deckhand
deckhand

Postby Cat Daddy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:38 pm

The tach does indeed get it's signal from a flywheel sensor. It is near the turbo, standing in front of the engine looking aft it's about the 1:00 position. Two wires w/ female spade push-on connectors. Try cleaning the connections and check to be sure they are not loose. It is a bit hard to find the first time but can be removed fairly easily with a 12" long extension.

Good luck.

Rafe
Rafe Williams
"Cat Daddy"
MV34 #32

Expatriate
skipper
skipper

Postby Expatriate » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:18 pm

Rafe,

I found it. I could get my fingers on it. I just pulled the wires off and put them back on. That did the trick, probably some corrosion. When I take turbo off some day, I will replace it or at least give it a good cleaning.

Tim
M/V 068 Expatriate

duetto
admiral
admiral

Postby duetto » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:22 pm

i've had really good results using "corrosion block". it's sold at west and comes in a blue and silver spray can. i've used it many times to solve connection problems.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23

Return to “PDQ Powercat Forum”