Fuel Additives

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Keysmark
deckhand
deckhand

Fuel Additives

Post by Keysmark »

Having seemingly exhaused the topic of fuel filters, I'd like to ask a somewhat related question.

Does anyone use any fuel additives or biocides in their diesel tanks? Opinions?

Thanks again,

Ben
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Additives

Post by SecondWind »

I have used bio-bor successfully, however stay away from the new Starbright diesel additive. I have had nothing but trouble with my fuel system since I started using it. It seems to have loosened everything in my fuel tank and to have deteriorated my fuel lines. I've been changing filters for a year now and they clog continually. Last weekend I collapsed a fuel line. I'm going to empty the tank, replace all of the fuel lines and filters and start clean. I will be adding Bio-bor to keep down the algae, but no more STARBRIGHT.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

terry,

when you say starbrite, are you talking about the "statron"(sp) enzyme product or their equivalent to biobor?

on a related note, we use biobor and power service (centane enhancer) with good results. we also tried a bottle of howeslube for diesels, which seemed to increase fuel mileage, but it's not readily available.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Starbright

Post by SecondWind »

John,

It is Strabright's Star Tron Enzyme treatement for diesel engines.

Terry
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi all,

i figured it was time to update this topic.

i didn't like the idea of all the dead bodies from biobor in my tanks, so in the summer of 2006 we took the plunge and started to religously use startron on each fillup. since we started we have travelled approximately 6000 miles.

we had some bacteria showing up in filter bowls so we made the switch. unlike terry we didn't have any filter clogs. fuel cleared up within 500 miles and has stayed clean since then.

before using startron i think you need to know what's in your tank. like terry says, it will loosen up everything in your tank and fuel system.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Calypso
deckhand
deckhand

Mastry's Answer

Post by Calypso »

I asked this question during the Yanmar class at the recent Trawlerfest up in Stuart. The class was given by Mastry (SE USA&Caribbean Yanmar distributors), and they recommended two additives to be used with each rfefuelling. Deezol & FPPF Cetane 8+. They said you can't overtreat, and recommended using both of these each time you add fuel.