Want to add a second / backup bilge pump per hull.

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Want to add a second / backup bilge pump per hull.

Post by Mishigas »

Now I understand the desire to keep a new boat cost down as low as possible but a second bilge pump should be "required" in a yacht such as this. PDQ....If your reading this....Add a second pump to each hull for the peace of mind. On a $300K plus yacht.....it's a no brainer. So I am thinking for safety and redundancy to add a second pump in the area about 3" higher than the factory pump with an properly sized thru hull for the discharge. Here is the question, which battery supply should this run from? I would think it should not be the same as the primary pump. Also considering some type of "Alarm" or "Counter" to monitor what's going on down below. Any comments or ideas welcome.
Sandy Kramer PDQ PC34 "MISHIGAS" Hull 68
Gadzooks!
skipper
skipper

bilge pump

Post by Gadzooks! »

I carry a manual Whale diaphram pump mounted on a plank, and equipped with an intake hose long enough to reach the bottom of the bow lockers. The thought is that the bow lockers are the most likely place for water in an emergency. Also, hoses that long would suffice for just about anywhere on the boat, such as from the engine compartment to pump to aft hatch above the bunk.

Am currently thinking about the best stowage - probably in a bow locker on the hull interior just forward of the hatch. Also plan to have a step-down to short section of smaller hose to used for overboard pump-out (legal most places in Canada) in the event of failure of the electrical pumpout system (it happens).

Of course, this does not address the issue of back-up bilge pumps to operate when noone is aboard, which may be what you are after.
Mebs and Wally Gilliam
Gadzooks! MV34 #33