Teleflex Tubing Recall...

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Teleflex Tubing Recall...

Post by Mishigas »

All PC34 owners with hull number 67 and up are suspect of having defective tubing on the steering systems and they can rupture, causing loss of rudder control. PDQ has sent us a bulletin with the "recalled" tube serial numbers but in looking for them, it is very difficult to read these numbers. Under the inside helm for example, the steering lines are bundled with "tons" of electrical lines making it impossible to read the tube without a major undertaking. Anyone else having a problem with this? The one tube I have been able to identify was not the offending number but I need to check the others. Not sure about access to these tubes and my ability to read them. How is everyone else dealing with this?
Sandy Kramer PC 34 "MISHIGAS"
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi sandy,

is it the type of tubing that's the problem or is each run of tubing individually numbered?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

John, each tube batch has a unique id stamped on it. PDQ is not sure which boat has which batch but it appears that some boats have had the defective tubing installed. On a boat, they may have installed tube from several coils (batches) of tube with differenct id numbers so, each run may have a different number....or not. They don't know for sure.
I am waiting for some additional infofrom PDQ.
Sandy Kramer PC34 MISHIGAS
Milky Way
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Teleflex Tubing Recall...

Post by Milky Way »

I took a look last night and suggest the following. View 1. Behind upper helm, blue red green tagged lines 71224, 2.Lower helm, going up same lines 71224, going down all three lines 71427. 3.Stbd rudder area both tubes 71224. Port rudder area 71252 on the port closest to the rudder connection, the other is 71224. 4. Tiebar allignment valve, bottom of large cupboard stbd stateroom, tubes are short, use a mirror to help, found 71252 going to right of valve. 5 Hydraulic autopilot pump located under or behind this same cupboard, remove, and read tubes. Now you have identified all tubes, and you can use the realignment instruction diagram from the manual to label. My MV78 uses the new electric wire bundling system, hence all tubes are not bundled to anything. It took me about a little less than 2 hours to climb around the boat. Armin Quickert, MV78, Milky Way.]
ThomKat
1st mate
1st mate

Teleflex Tubing Notice

Post by ThomKat »

Recommend all owners of model year 2005 and very early 2006 MV34s take a look at their tubing. Teleflex told me earlier this week that this tubing notice/recall has been in effect for "about a year" but he wouldn't be more specific. Check all of your tubing - under the flybridge, under the lower steering console, and aft of each of the engine compartments - as it is very possible that you have tubing from more than one lot. My boat (#75) had 2 different lot numbers. Yep, one is on the "defective" list. The good news is that if you haven't had a failure to date, chances are you won't, but Teleflex is very serious about wanting to replace all of the tubing from those 3 lot numbers (71252, 71335, and 71336). If you didn't get the recall note from PDQ and have tubing from a defective lot, drop me a note (a-castle@earthlink.net) and I'll give you the details along with a name and number at Teleflex.

Tom
Tom Walker
ThomKat - MV3475
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No Schedule & Sticking To It
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

I was aboard this weekend and again looked for numbers. Under the flybridge I found the tubing but could not find any numbers visible. Just black tubing. Not sure how often Teleflex printed the numbers on this tube but it's not on all the tube. Still waiting for PDQ to advise on how to proceed. Sandy Kramer [/i][/b]MISHIGAS MV34
ThomKat
1st mate
1st mate

Post by ThomKat »

Sandy,

Had the same problem. Get a small (inspection) mirror and a flash light and check the back side of the tubing. The markings, which include the lot number, should be printed about every 2 feet.

Tom
Tom Walker
ThomKat - MV3475
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No Schedule & Sticking To It