Lubricating the Rear Door.

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Lubricating the Rear Door.

Post by Mishigas »

My aft door is in need of a bit of lubrication. What are you folks using on the track to do this? I would think a dry lube would be better but thought I'd let the group speak up.
Sandy Kramer 'MISHIGAS" PC 34
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Dry Lube

Post by SecondWind »

As a former lubricants engineer, I concur 100%. Dry lube will work great and will not retain water, salt, or dirt. You probably should blow out the track with an airgun or air can before you lube, and an occasional cleaning ot the track with a rag & acetone will help also (make sure the acetone is completely dry before sliding so that no plastic parts come in contact with it.) If you are afraid of the solvent, just skip it, and wipe with a clean rag before lubricating.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi guys,

could you give a product name for a dry lubricant. we have the same problem.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Dry Lube

Post by SecondWind »

Try "Sailkote" dry lube, sold at marine stores. (There are a lot of other products out there too. Most are silicone based with a solvent that evaporates, and all are marked "dry lube" on the can.)
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Rejoice
1st mate
1st mate

Lubricants

Post by Rejoice »

We've been using SailCote (?sp) and have found it very useful for lubricating most metal fittings, zippers, and places we want to exclude moisture such as the shore-power cabel inputs. Works great on the fittings for the various gates on MV34/51 as well as the shore-power electric and tv-cable connects.
Anne & Dave Mensel
Rejoice
PDQ MV/34-51
Nashville, TN
Joyce
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Dry Lube

Post by Joyce »

SecondWind wrote:Try "Sailkote" dry lube, sold at marine stores. (There are a lot of other products out there too. Most are silicone based with a solvent that evaporates, and all are marked "dry lube" on the can.)
Thanks so much for the "Sailkote" help. Our door and windows now slide effortlessly.

Joyce [Feline Purr-fect] hull #101