Correct Prop Size??

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Correct Prop Size??

Post by Mishigas »

It appears that the 34 PC's had the possiblilty of more than one prop size / pitch and and that it can make a difference in the performance of the boat. I have Yanmar 75's on Mishigas and now that I am out of the water, my props numbers stamped on the props are "16L14 & 16R14". Does anyone here have any info if these are the "Norm" on the 34 PC prop sizes and has anyone experimented or changed their props?
Thanks Sandy Kramer
MISHIGAS Hull 68
Deale, Maryland
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi sandy,

based on our experience the answer to prop size will depend on how much you load the boat. according to chris, the 16x14 is the std prop pdq uses on 75 hp boats. we had 16x14 since we bought the boat but after doing 2 roundtrips to fl and bahamas it became obvious we were overloading the engines. we never tested whether will could pull max revs WITH THE WEIGHT WE NORMALLY CRUISE WITH. when we did the tests it showed we needed 16x13. we had props re-pitched this summer before we left and i have to say it has worked very well. engines rev more easily and no trace of rising temps. fuel economy is almost identical but topspeed is down about 3/4 knot. as far as we're concerned it's a very good tradeoff.

note we live on boat oct thru may so it has everything including the kitchen sink :)
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23