Genset raw water intake

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
jbrad
skipper
skipper

Genset raw water intake

Post by jbrad »

I have been having a problem with the genset raw water intake loosing prime after not being used for several days. I have been unable to locate any air leaks. Has anyone else had this problem? What is the best way to reprime while away from the dock? Any thoughts?

Jimmy Bradley
Mr Busy mv059
MR BUSY
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi jim,

do you mean that after genset starts it doesn't pump water? if so, how do you know it's a priming problem and not a bad pump? also, you don't mention genset type.

we have the old entec which has a strainer between thruhull and pump and it's located high on the bulkhead, so even if water drains out of the hose between strainer and thruhull there is still water in hose between strainer and the pump.

most likely air leak place would be on downstream side of strainer.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

"most likely air leak place would be on downstream side of strainer. "

by this i mean between the thruhull and the strainer, probably strainer cap.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
jbrad
skipper
skipper

Genset raw water intake

Post by jbrad »

Hi,

The genset is a Northern Lights 5kw. The strainer is located high on the bulkhead. I have checked the strainer cap and fittings and have not located an air leak. I have been unable to prime by refilling the strainer and lines.
MR BUSY
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi jim,

you haven't actually said why you think you have a priming problem.

does the genset not pump water after it starts?

why do you think that you have a priming problem?

did the genset prime before and stopped?

i'm not trying to be a pain, just trying to find out how you've landed on the linability to get pump to prime as problem. see you've had this problem a lot longer than us, so you need to help us get up to speed.

and we will!
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

Jim, I am also not sure of your "priming" question. I also have the Northern Lights setup and I have had the occasional problem with debris getting into the tube on the rawwater side of the strainer. If you notice the thru hull valve is not really on the hull but at the liner. There is about a foot of hard pipe from the bottom of the genset compartment to the bottom of the hull and this pipe has clogged with grass etc. I assume it log jams at the bottom of the thruhull valve. To relieve this problem I run a pressure water hose and blow it out from the strainer feed hose back out of the boat. It's not the best of designs.
Sandy Kramer MISHIGAS PC34 HULL 68
jbrad
skipper
skipper

Genset intake blockage

Post by jbrad »

Hi folks,

I appologize for not posting the resolution to this problem. It seems that the intake tube is not coated with the bottom paint except for the lower couple of inches. Turns out we had an oyster growing in the tube. Since we just hauled the boat for a bottom job, we painted the full length of the tube. This should prevent this from happening again.
MR BUSY
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

Jim, how do you paint the inside of the tube? I just might want to do the same on my next haulout.
Sandy Kramer MV MISHIGAS
jbrad
skipper
skipper

Post by jbrad »

Hi Sandy,

We used a coat hanger and strips of cotton fabric made into a ball. Not very high tech, but works fine.

Jimmy
MR BUSY