Main Power CIrcuit Breaker (shore power)

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Cap'n Jay
deckhand
deckhand

Main Power CIrcuit Breaker (shore power)

Post by Cap'n Jay »

I am having a hard time with the shore Main Power circuit breaker on MV-32 CATITUDE. I think it only occurs when I run both CruiseAir units and have the water heater on. The ammeter on the power panel shows 30 amps when both units are running. Do I have a faulty heat pump or could the breaker on the boat be bad? The shore breaker does not shut off and I have a new powercord and outside outlet. Any ideas, folks?
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Check the breaker's temperature under load. If it is hot to the touch, then you have a bad breaker. The temperature difference is easily compared to your other breakers under load.

I'm sure you already tried this, but just in case you didn't, you can always check the amperage of each unit seperately & individually to make sure they coincide with the manufactures load numbers.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Breaker

Post by Dan White »

What is the rating of the breaker that is tripping? (Sailboats are 30 Amps.)
Is the water heater electric? (Mine is)
What are the rated loads of all three appliances?
Anything else running?
Cap'n Jay
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Cap'n Jay »

Thanks to Dan, Chris, and Kelley for responding to my question about the breaker problem. Turned out that the problen was the Heart Interface 2000 inverter/charger. I replaced it with a Xantrex Freedom 30 and so far so good. My boat is probably one of the few that was wired with only one shore power plug.
Thanks for all the advice. Warm regards, Jay.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

what was the problem with the inverter/charger? is it a heart or a prosine?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23