wood finish

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
MOC
deckhand
deckhand

wood finish

Post by MOC »

I would like to refinish my wood in certain areas where my children have accidently scratched it. What type of finish was used. Mike owner of a PDQ 34 2004
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Re: wood finish

Post by Ross Bowling »

My wife has arthritis and a Very Good Friend made three hand holds out of cherry to assist her from the starboard side of the boat to the salon. We took the panel adjacent to the electrical breaker panel to a GOOD paint store and they matched the color of the stain. As my boat ages, the color of the wood is darkening, so I wanted to get as close to the finish color as possible. I use lemon oil on the wood 3 to 4 times a year to keep it happy.

Good Luck
Ross Bowling
Stray Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Stray Cat »

Rob P. told me once that the woodwork was all cherry wood with clear urethane finish, not stained. For straightforward REfinishing I suggest a very light sanding, solvent wipedown, tack cloth wipedown and the water-based urethane varnish.

Is your woodwork really darkening with age? Mine is sun bleaching! Take a peek under something that has shielded the wood from sunlight to be astonished at the amount of sun bleaching! Where the sun don't shine, like the stateroom cabinets and parts of the galley the wood is significantly darker. No problem for a brand new boat. Likewise for surfaces that remain in their original place, as all the wood around them has faded the same. If you get into matching stains, be careful because the stain will not bleach and will prevent the wood beneath from fading to some extent, leading to mismatches with nearby woods.

To protect my dinette table from work project dents and scratches I carry pieces of 1/8 inch Masonite trimmed to lay over the table -- store 'em under the bunk mattress.

Gary
Candy Chapman and Gary Bell in Stray Cat, MV34 hull 12
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

G-

I have sun shades on the exterior windows and have no sun bleaching. When we are underway, I always put the shades on the windows at the end of the day to keep the temp down in the boat, and this has also protected the wood. Running almost year around from the flybridge (on San Francisco Bay) I leave the window covers in place most of the time. When I picked up the boat, Chris Calvert told me that with time the wood will darken and to be mindful not to leave items on the wood that would cause the problem you described. I use lemon oil on a regular basis and the wood on the boat is in really fine shape.

rb
Ross Bowling