Propane Cooktop Issue Revisited

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Propane Cooktop Issue Revisited

Post by Mishigas »

I know this was discussed a year or two ago but I am still struggling with this system. Last time on board we could not get the gas burner to recieve any gas flow. We tried all the tricks that used to work, tapping on solonoid valve in tank locker, working the wall switch several times above the stove...nothing. I know the tank if full and it worked fine two weeks ago. Can any of the list members share what they know about solving this problem. I have never seen any of the "Honey" residue that some have mentioned in the past. Any advice or sugestions appreciated.
Thanks, Sandy Kramer MV-Mishigas Hull 68 :mrgreen:
Moonstruck
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Propane Cooktop Issue Revisited

Post by Moonstruck »

I finally replaced the solendoid to solve the problem.
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

On the 36 the propane locker is open to the elements because of the big "tie rod." Good for ventilation, but terrible for rust. I replace the solenoid every 3 years - the last one pretty much fell apart in my hands. For a while I used the "dual tank, automatic switch over" style, but they are too expensive, especially if they rust out before the second switchover.

On a slightly different topic, I just replaced the tanks (which also get severe rust in a few years) with fiberglass tanks. I was able to get two 10-pound "Lite" brand tanks from an RV supply house for $165. Very neat, light weight, they fit perfectly, will never rust, and you can see the propane level through the 'glass!
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
phild
skipper
skipper

Post by phild »

Jeff,
Can you provide the specifics (model, manufacturer, distributor) on both the solenoid and the tanks? I very much agree with your observations!
Phil and Mary DiDomenico
s/v Arabella

"There is more to sailing than ropes and winches, cleats and bulging sails. There are faraway places and the everchanging light, and the silence, and a great peace at the bottom of your soul." - Mate
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

The solenoid was whatever WasteMarine has. The metal is "soft iron" so its not going to last long saturated in sea air. I guess I should just buy another, vacuum seal it, and stash it since I'll be needing it within a few years!

The tanks are the "Lite Cylinder Company" brand:
http://www.litecylinder.com/
Here's a link to the RV place where I got them:
http://www.rvsupplywarehouse.com/produc ... m/pid/4126
With free shipping, it was the best price I found. Since they are the only glass tanks I've seen up close, I can't comment on the quality. They are noticeably lighter than the steel tanks. They are a hair larger than the steel tanks, so the fit is snug but not too tight.
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
boatpf
deckhand
deckhand

Post by boatpf »

Propane Stove
One burner on propane stove wont stay lit.
One side works fine, the other side lites, but will not stay lit even though holding knob down for long time.
Is it bad thermocouple or maybe something else ?
If so, does know if there is a replacement part or model number for it?
Thank you
David
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Assuming the issues you are referring are related to the Princess cooktop that was installed on many if not all of the PDQ's, we also had a lot of issues with it when we bought our PDQ 4 years ago. After a replacement was equally flawed, we changed to a Thetford "Spinflo" cooktop Model SHB92090Y (Black glass, Black knobs, 12V Ignition, Burner 1 – 8,530 Btu, Burner 2 – 5,460 Btu). It fits the counter opening with just a bit of modifications. It has worked flawlessly ever since. Unfortunately, I can't find any units available on internet any more.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

sounds like a bad thermocouple. they are available from sure marine.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Again, this forum is an invaluable troubleshooting resource! We have the same ignition failure issue described here. I am happy to tackle the thermocoupler, but am wondering about the stove top itself. How do I pull it out to access the insides? I don’t see an easy access from the bottom. Does the whole top just lift out? It looks to be caulked in. Before just running a knife around circumference, I thought I’d ask about access to any retaining hardware, or if there even is any. Thank you for the help.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

.....then again, you could just ensure captain and crew understand all relevant switches that need to be turned on for range to ignite haha! After a brief, internal briefing...all is good. Phew.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Yes, I, too, was surprised at first to see that you had to close the 2 switches for LP Gas and Stove on the electrical panel, and then close the solenoid switch at the stove for it to light. Once you know ...
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

I am the new owner of Mishigas which had become Perigrine. We’ve had her three years. I guess someone fixed this problem along the way. We have had no problems.

Tim
M/V Expatriate, 068