Sealant / adheasive used at galley sinks

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
jbrad
skipper
skipper

Sealant / adheasive used at galley sinks

Post by jbrad »

Hi all,

We had a beautiful weekend here in Northwest florida this past weekend and we wre out on the water enjoying it :D . Returning to our slip late Sarurday evening saw the winds and waves pick up a fait amount and it was a bumpy, if pleasant cruise back. Once we were secure at the dock, I started my usual cleanup routine and found the sealant/adheasive wich held both sinks to the underside of the corian counter top had failed. Both sinks had dropped down about 3/4' and are appearently being held by the laminate top in the cabinate below. Does anyone know the type of sealant/adheasive that was used in this location? Any thoughts or information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jimmy Bradley
Mr Busy
MV 059
MR BUSY
Moonstruck
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Sealant / adheasive used at galley sinks

Post by Moonstruck »

Had the same problem. Resealed with 5200, no further problem. Make sure you brace the sinks in place after applying adhesive and let it cure for a few days.
LastCat
deckhand
deckhand

Post by LastCat »

hi jimmy, ed from lastcat was also commissioning and warranty at pdq i remember your favourite restaurant in whitby was teddys. as moonstruck said 5200 works well but corrian counter is actually fibergalss with half inch wood core. to ensure the same problem does not happen again i install a 5/8 pan head screw around the stainless lip under the sink to access this area remove face screws from cabinet. cabinet will come out in one piece. ed.mv115.
LASTCAT
jbrad
skipper
skipper

Post by jbrad »

Thanks Ed,

You are right about the restaurant. The food was great. I appreciate the info and advise on the sinks.I guess we have our weekend project. Glad to hear you have # 115. If we can ever help with anything down this way, just lets us know.

Jimmy and Jonathan
Mr Busy
mv059
MR BUSY
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Mr Busy...Jimmy.... Did you complete the sink project?? If so, any suggestions, problems, etc

Mine is the same as yours... dropping down a 1/4 inch. I get water in my left hand bottom cabinet under the sink. Assuming this is the problem.

Thanks,
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
jbrad
skipper
skipper

Post by jbrad »

The repair went pretty easy once we removed the cabinet front. I did add 4 ss screws on each sink as an extra precation.

Jimmy Bradley
Mr Busy
mv 059
MR BUSY
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Post by Tom Green »

Just went through repairing my sink which had separated from undersurface of the counter top. The older posts were helpful to me.

Some things I have learned that might be helpful.

1. Chemicals containing ammonia, oxalic acid etc may weaken the seal. Cleaners such as Barkeepers Friend and Brasso have such chemicals. One might want to be careful about using such cleaners in the interest of avoiding the problem.

2. Removing the cabinet faces is necessary really clean out the seam and reinstall the sink. Be aware the cabinet face under the refrigerator sits on top (in front) of the long one under the sink. You need to remove it to slide the face out from under the sink counter.

3. In order to hold the sink in place while the adhesive/sealant material cures, I used a stick of plywood and some wedges seated on the bottom of the cabinet opening to hold things up. Additionally I used a small windlass between a piece of wood beneath the drain hole and a rod over the counter top. The sink had a tendency to slide outboard toward the side of the hull because the brace on the cabinet opening was off center. I slid a wedge/block between the back of the sink and the hull. Things stayed put during the curing process.

4. Either 3M 5200 or Sikaflex were recommended for repair.

5. As indicated by others, screws add security but not the easiest to put in place which is why I suspect they were not used in the first place.

I have pictures if they would be helpful to anyone.

Tom Green MV34 99
Tom & Nanci Green
Diastole
MV3499