Aft Running/navigation light

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Aft Running/navigation light

Post by Mary & Roger »

Has anyone thought about a nav light on the stern of the PDQ? When running after dark, I feel as if the anchor light should be on, so we can be seen from the
rear. Every other boat I have owned had a white running light.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Aft Running/navigation light

Post by duetto »

isn't that what the anchor light does double duty as?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

I guess it does, but it is a 360 degree light verses a 32 degree running light.
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Katlin »

I believe you are both right: that boats of less than 12 meters in length may show red and green sidelights (or a combined bow light) and an all-round white light in lieu of separate masthead and sternlights.

John Sawyer
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Thank you Mr. Sawyer, I was ready for someone to tell me I should park the boat!!! :D
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

Mr. Sawyer is correct. The reason for the rule is that the 360 visibility of the anchor light does not cause serious confusion..
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
LastCat
deckhand
deckhand

Post by LastCat »

if your boat is a later model with the combined bench davit arch there is a plate already there for a stern light . the starboard aft support leg has an access hole in the bottom of it to run wire, so you call install one if you like.i added a l e d stern light in that spot.ed lastcat mv115
LASTCAT
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

This a very old thread, but since I found it trying for anchor light replacement tips...

The 360 degree white light on boats less than 12 meters is a replacement for the standard 225 degree forward white light (which matches the arc of the red/green side lights) and a separate 135 degree white stern light.

If you install a separate white stern light, you must install a separate forward white "steaming" light to be illuminated at the same time. If you illuminate the stern light without the forward light, that is in violation of the regs. If you illuminate the stern light and the factory-supplied all-around white light, that is also very confusing and in violation.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Post by Gusto »

Duane is right. Rule 23 of the C.G. Navigation Rules states that a boat under 12 meters can display a 360 degree white light plus the red and green lights.

I think the problem stems from the confusion caused by the way that the light switches are labeled. Instead of "Navigation Lights" and "Anchor Light", they should have been labeled "Red/green Side Lights" and "360 degree White Light". No confusion here. Both on for night time running and only the white light on when we are anchored.

Bob MacNeill
Gusto