?How Many?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
admiral
admiral

?How Many?

Post by 36041 »

Can anyone tell me how many of the 32/34 motor cats were (are) made? On a recent delivery from Florida to Maryland, I counted no less than 16 PDQ 34 MV's on the way up the ditch, so I was wondering how many there are out and about.

Thanks,
Tom
www.tendervittles.net
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Re: ?How Many?

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I think there were 114 plus 1... The plus 1 was finished by an employee and is in charter service.. see Henry's comments under charter possibilities in the Powercat section.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

That is correct. I have Hull 114 on San Francisco Bay. There are only 2 34's on San Francisco Bay, and last weekend both of them were tied to the dock at a local waterfront restaurant. Pics can be seen at rossbowling.com and look for a link to a lot of nemes "and lunch at the Ramp" My boat is Vita Bella and the other is Sea Sons.

best
Ross Bowling
LastCat
deckhand
deckhand

Post by LastCat »

hi tom, hope to be in the ditch this fall,i am the plus 1 that ron mentioned. mv 115. except that i would say built not finished. in addition to finishing hull 44 24 for the owner after pdq went down and being in the small team who also built 44 25 for the owner afterr pdq went down. to sum up 115 mv's total . approx 99 36 sail built approx 50 32 sail built and up to hull number mv 41-11 built and up to hull number 44-25 in total built. met most original owners from 2002 on at the dock in whitby upon pick up or during warranty service calls. [blue rv] ed.
LASTCAT
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

Cool, thanks for all the feedback guys.

Tom
www.tendervittles.net
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Ed,
Good to see you on the forum. Let us know when you get close to the Pamlico River in NC. You are welcome to tie up. 252 940-0091
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Post by Tom Green »

Ron is correct I believe.

We had purchased # 115. I was about to leave and go to Whitby to see the boat in progress when they called and said that they could not finish the boat and were ceasing operation. At the time, the hull and top and components were sitting on the shop floor. We waited for a time hoping that things would be reorganized and operations resume. Unfortunately, that did not happen. We then saw a notice for the auction of PDQ assets including the components of the boat we had ordered. In essence, ours was the first boat that did not make it out the door of the original PDQ company. Ross's boat, Vita Bella was the last one to make it out the door before the company ceased operation. That was actually while he was transporting his boat from the Whitby to Florida.

It is my understanding a former employee or group of employees of PDQ acquired the components and finished the boat. I believe that is the one that is called the Last Cat and is now in a charter fleet and was advertised in the last issue of Passagemaker. Assuming that to be true, it should be # 115 and the last one to come out of the PDQ factory in Whitby.

Pearson Composites hopefully will be able to resume production of the boat if the economy and demand for new boats of this type allow them to do so. From visiting their factory during the PDQ U last year, they appear to be a very high quality manufacturer. Obviously they are struggling as are many boat manufacturers.

PDQ was respectful of our financial situation and returned the funds that we had committed to the construction of the boat. PDQ 34 #99 was here in Seattle and had never been owned by by anyone. We were fortunate to get it and are very happy with our decision. We have enjoyed using the boat in the Northwest. It is a wonderful cruising boat around Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands. We also spend a lot of time on Lake Washington where we moore it in fresh water. There are only a few others in the area. There are a couple in a charter fleet around Bellingham I believe and there is the Gilliam's boat, Gadzooks, on Orcas Island here in the San Juan Islands.

The boat attracts a lot of attention where ever we go. Transporting the boats to this side of the country is a significant barrier to getting others out here. They don't travel well over land and it is a considerable expense to ship them using groups like Dockwise or Yachtpath.
Tom & Nanci Green
Diastole
MV3499
owenbradford
deckhand
deckhand

Re: ?How Many More?

Post by owenbradford »

Is there any good indication of what level of production Pearson will be maintaining? They are continuing production, aren't they?
LastCat
deckhand
deckhand

Post by LastCat »

Hi Ron, Thank-you for the invitation we may just take you up on that. We are always looking for a friendly place to stop either by land or sea. Ed mv115.

Hi Tom, I had several phone calls asking about generator install on the boat you were looking at on the west coast at that time, hope the info got to the people who needed it. Did the generator and other upgrades get done? Ed mv115
LASTCAT
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Post by Tom Green »

Hi ED

Yes we did get your feed back regarding the generator install on our boat. It is in and working fine. Northern Lights is here in Seattle so it was no problem getting the equipment. We happen to know the engineer who designs their stuff. If you are ever out in the Seattle area, we would welcome you aboard for a look and a cruise around Lake Washington.

It was sad for us to not be able to come and pick up a boat in Whitby and take it out to the East Coast and down to Florida. We were very much looking forward to that. It is nice that you were able to finish the Last Cat and that it will be enjoyed by many I am sure.

Thanks again and best wishes.

Tom
Tom & Nanci Green
Diastole
MV3499